Archive Vids Uploaded! 2021 "The Longest Night" Solstice Livecoding Marathon

[edit] Videos are now up on youtube and archive.org!
Massive thanks to @sfradkin who has been powering away at tools to automate this process, meaning we are working ever closer to an (almost) instant post-performance availability. A few more events testing I think and we'll be pretty close:

Youtube (eulerroom)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMBIpibV-wQIrjhBgxrwXTnoFpw-PWzNp

archive.org
Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine

[edit] Huge thanks to everyone who performed, watched, participated, supported and organised - it was a bunch of fun, and there is loads of gold to be found in all the performances!

~~Work is underway to get the performances uploaded to a permanent archive on youtube/archive.org, in the meantime twitch will be holding replays for ~14 days:

We also got a lovely write up from Peter Kirn on cdm.link (Create Digital Music):

Lockdowns? Variants? Live coders are always ready to make beautiful moments of togetherness that defy isolation and distance. Tune into the TidalClub Longest Night right now:

And yeah, as I wrote this, someone really was using Atari ST stuff as pictured. That’s hot. A moment ago it was some chopped-up speech and birdsong in a meditative loop.

For future streams, here's all the organisational material:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JgCY6M0X4uab__HbVFG8ebvTgIMUXfRZ?usp=sharing

This includes:

Let's not leave it so long til the next one!
[/edit]

It's been a long time since the last marathon, but thanks to some monumental efforts from the organising team...

This thread is for any discussion or support required for the event!
This is the place for information and detail that may have benefit for future marathons. For more ephemeral discussion, there is also the #nightstream channel on the discord chat.

Links:
Stream setup and testing (with massive thanks to @paulchannelstrip ):

Social Flyers/Banners - Share them round your instatwitbooks!! (with massive thanks to @gamar3is ):
Cover banner
Square Format Flyer
A4 Portrait Flyer

There are a number of people I (/we as a club) need to thank:
@munshkr for building and endlessly improving the open source muxy backend which provides the core streaming multiplexing infrastructure
@mrreason and @Givo29 for their incredibly fast/coordinated work building and open sourcing the muxy-frontend project for taking the sign ups, and particularly @mrreason for his unrelenting push to share his knowledge
@gamar3is once again for the beautiful and thoughtful theme/palette adorning the frontend
@paulchannelstrip for sharing his extensive knowledge on streaming setups in the support docs and tirelessly assisting with anything needed
@yaxu of course for the tool that has brought us together for this marathon, but also for the hosting, trusting me/us with some crucial accesses, and of course allowing us to tap his extensive knowledge about the bodies and where they're buried :skull:
A shout out to the rest of the team who've provided/or volunteered to provide support over the coming weeks - @sfradkin, @geikha, @kit-christopher, and @arethusa

15 Likes

Hey @cleary, thanks for the initiative!

I was also involved last time and am looking forward to contributing my part again. I would especially like to contribute to the streaming system, as we already had some ideas last time. I just can't estimate how much time and energy I will have for it, because I have a lot going on at work. Therefore, I would still like to participate in the meetup (and maybe to see where I can help without being too dependent on me - maybe helping with some conceptual stuff?)

This is hopefully okay - will see :slight_smile:

Hey thanks for dropping in! I remember you having a big hand in the last one, I was going to DM you and check if you were available :wink:

All good on the load side - myself and @Givo29 are looking to pickup there, so conceptual knowledge will be very helpful!

2 Likes

Hey @munshkr - have you had any time to have a look at this for us?

1 Like

Cool! see you all in two days <3

3 Likes

I'm sorry I haven't yet, I've been swamped with work lately :pensive: I'll try to write down something tomorrow!

2 Likes

My maths was wrong! it's 3 days sorry :frowning:

All good, thankyou!

Starting in 15mins!

@irisS @gamar3is @paulchannelstrip @munshkr @Givo29 @yaxu @tedthetrumpet @mrreason

1 Like

I've had a last minute hitch and won't be able to make it today ;(

I went through the action points and can commit to have a design up in the coming weekend -- hopefully it gives enough time for all other gears to spin. If a tighter turnaround is preferable, just let me know and I'll accomodate.

One detail that I'd ask you to touch in the meeting would be the definite name for the event? (also, if someone could go through the hassle to take minimal notes, that would be super helpful)

Cheers yall, excited to see this happen!

All good, we got there :slight_smile: We did miss quite a few people (timezone confusion issue perhaps? I'll try to send explicit invites next time) but with massive thanks to @mrreason we have a good idea of a path forward for the infrastructure.

Outcomes/minutes/diagrams were noted on the Agenda doc. Some key points:

1. Name: "The Longest Night" (thanks @paulchannelstrip )

2. Extending muxy is the goal, make sure any frontend code is open source/accessible

3. Some peer programming sessions will be organised to share knowledge/implement the todo list (thanks @mrreason )

4. A discussion channel has been setup on discord #nightstream (thanks @geikha)

5. Domain setup/hosting options to be confirmed (me)

6. Unresolved stuff: Support team/process - this will be something to look at closer to the date, once the frontend/backend work is done

5 Likes

Really sorry I missed it, we had to clear our kitchen out for a refit tonight. Exciting stuff looking forward!

1 Like

I missed it too! Count me in on the peer programming sessions, I'm sure I can join some of them.

1 Like

Hi all! Here's a first stab at the event design, which I can adapt to other formats once we agree on what info to show.

It's another go based on the 4x4 square grid that featured in the previous designs, referencing the 4/4 loop structure (and a hat-tip to the MPD hardware layout), this time with some visual play around linear progression and sun-setting. The colors are the ayy4 palette by Polyducks (who you should check out, whatever your background is)

I wasn't really sure so I just made up the text+date+url based on previous events, just to get a feel of what should go where.

13 Likes

Looks awesome!!!

1 Like

Looking fantastic!

Things are progressing pretty quickly here -

url: https://night.tidalcycles.org
muxy-frontend: GitHub - thgrund/muxy-frontend: Frontend for stream performance registration

Would we be able to get a proper logo/image for the landing page (@mrreason just clipped from the previous share)?

https://night.tidalcycles.org/ is very viewable and pretty and the flyer is stellar :sparkle:

i peeked the previous show from last year and it is amazing. Also very awesome to see a few local names on this huge event!

I would love to add my own tidal musics to this year's concert once signups are open. What goes into singing up ? Do you have to submit a demo or audition ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi and welcome @naltroc

You are very welcome to sign up! The sign up process consists of ... signing up :wink:

The slots will open soon, we're just working on getting the frontend/backend integrations sorted out, then will put out a call - it's first in best dressed, so keep an eye on this thread/the forum/the site because slots disappear quickly!

[edit] I've put a note on the landing page

1 Like

Bumpity bump :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your hard work! I'm really looking forward to this :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone involved in the organization! Everything worked as a charm! It'll be cool seing so many people playing their stuff.

6 Likes