Challenge: Recording pieces at different tempos

Yeah! Dub vibes on the first half are inspiring!

I'm liking your first one. You're getting a lot of variety out of a small amount of code there. Using patterning within a euclid, must remember that trick!

1 Like

I enjoyed it! With a few adjustments on the second half this could turn into an awesome structure to play with effects and filter sweeps! :ok_hand:

1 Like

very cool, i love both parts. so simple and effective.

1 Like

Ok here's my effort from the stream earlier:

Will leave it until the morning before I listen back..

6 Likes

OK here's mine:

first part at 0.3 cps, second part at double tempo (0.6).

I quite like the version at double speed, I think increasing the tempo gave it a different vibe. All previous layers pretty much worked without too many changes, but one in particular did not, and I had to removed it completely. I felt it sounded really bad in the new context, it was just way too fast, but when I tried to slow it down it didn't work either.

What would I do next time? I guess I'd like to be able to achieve smoother changes... Having the piece flow more organically, changing gradually and smoothly... Not sure why but I always have that feeling that things change too abruptly in my tidal stuff.

3 Likes

I started off with a cps of 0.29 and I increased the tempo by 4 times to 1.16. I made use of degrade to reduce the density of sounds with the increased tempo and striate to create some constantly changing textures. So the increase in tempo made me change my thinking from focusing on rhythm to focusing on texture.

5 Likes

Hello,

Here's my attempt at Challenge 1. I tried to keep the two tracks as one seamless piece. There is a transition at 03:20. The first half before the transition is at 2cps while the second half is at 0.5cps. Also tried to work with panning and degradation of sound.

5 Likes

My first experiment after being away from Tidal for some time...

...and a slower version:

2 Likes
Sleuth ยท cycle0 - Challenge 1
Here are my recordings at 0.8 and 0.4 cps. I had to truncate them since they rambled on too long. I played with the Euclidean parameters quite a bit and found that changing the multiplier on subpatterns per cycle like this: [1 2]*<1 1.5 2> created some nice variation. Accidentally removing the comma in a polyrhythmic pattern had the effect of changing up the tempo yet again at the end of the second recording. Next time I would maybe change the tempo even more and explore some more functions. I like the way patterns became more textural in the second half of some of the other uploads.

Anyone else have trouble getting the soundcloud embedded player to show up in their post?

2 Likes

After watching the livestream and re-reading the brief not in a haze or a hurry, I've decided to have another go and attempt to provide a complete answer this time :wink:

I've also gone for a more rhythmically interesting direction:

1. setcps 0.6 - the fast one

Notes: I wanted to make this one a little more rhythmically interesting, with the aim for it to still hold it's groove at slower bpms too.

1. setcps 0.2 - the slow one

I fiddled about with the cps all the way down to 0.1 for this, and it still worked imo - but 0.2 was a grindy sweet spot that still held enough space and anticipation without losing too much interest (imo of course)

2 Likes

@anachronite I'm enjoying this track :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks!

Okay here goes...

2 Likes

Wow, so much good stuff! I kinda lost track but here I am catching up.

I'm still struggling with the language! So I mostly tweaked stuff around, but I'm still too slow to create live. This it confronted me with new goals like gaining actual fluency in the coding.

3 Likes

Oops, didn't manage getting the playlist

3 Likes

i tried for something slow. working with longer samples.

i found the striate command looking through lucys favourite functions :slight_smile: and used this extensively along with filtering and room / size, trying to use the filters to add variation of a quite repetetative pattern

the tempo is starting at 0.8 cps, when it was time to change the tempo i initially thought i would go up, but went for even slower to 0.4 cps

not sure if the tempo drop makes a big difference when using samples of this kind, but i definitely felt like i had to add the clicky percussive sound when things got really slow. also not really sure what i think of the drum beat in the 1st section.

making this assignment / recording was a really nice experience! made me go much deeper in the process, tweaking and listening a lot more. while recording i went on for a long long time and it got really meditative tweaking settings, doing minor edits etc.

8 Likes

Hi there!

Here my homework:

• The idea was to focus only on percussion patterns this time. And try to get glitchy patterns by combining regular ones with random parts.
  • I wrote the code at 1 cps but then execute it at 0.6 and 1.6 for the recordings.

My conclusions so far are:

• I need to keep working to get the sound I had in mind.
  • I provably chose a too extreme tempos. It sounded way better at 1 cps.
  • When executing it at slow tempo, you don't get to see the patterns and sounds too uneven.
  • When executed at higher tempo the sound is excessively saturated with drums.
  • Anyway if I had to pick one I'd keep the fast one!

Tnx for listening!

2 Likes

Here's my crack at the challenge!

Definitely had some unexpected results from changing effects parameters, including a nice little delay freakout, but it was interesting seeing how much I could do with each sound.

And I was pleasantly surprised just how different the piece felt at a slower tempo. Totally different mood with relatively little alteration.

4 Likes

OK, I've been absent for a while but I tried out the challenge:

It was very interesting how different this was from how I usually think about things - I usually start out with a tempo in mind and kind of build the pattern around that.

4 Likes