Failed to activate the tidalcycles package

Hi Everyone,
I'm just making to first attempt to get Tidal cycles up and running on win10.
I'm getting this error out of Pulsar. Also Supercollider doesn't say it's listening to tidal so far when i lunch superdirt. Is this a common error?
Merry Christmas!

Atom: 1.100.0-beta x64
Electron: 12.2.3
Thrown From: tidalcycles package 3.16.17

Stack Trace

Failed to activate the tidalcycles package

At C:\Users\omarj\AppData\Local\Programs\pulsar\file:\C:\Users\omarj\.pulsar\packages\tidalcycles\lib\repl.js: Binding 'eval' in strict mode. (86:14)

84 |     if (!this.ghci) this.start();
  85 |     this.editors.currentEvaluations(evalType)
> 86 |       .filter(eval => eval.expression && eval.range)
     |               ^
  87 |       .forEach(eval => {
  88 |         this.status.eval({ characters: eval.expression.length })
  89 |

SyntaxError: C:\Users\omarj\AppData\Local\Programs\pulsar\file:\C:\Users\omarj\.pulsar\packages\tidalcycles\lib\repl.js: Binding 'eval' in strict mode. (86:14)

84 |     if (!this.ghci) this.start();
  85 |     this.editors.currentEvaluations(evalType)
> 86 |       .filter(eval => eval.expression && eval.range)
     |               ^
  87 |       .forEach(eval => {
  88 |         this.status.eval({ characters: eval.expression.length })
  89 |
    at instantiate (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:67:32)
    at constructor (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:364:12)
    at FlowParserMixin.raise (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:3364:19)
    at FlowParserMixin.checkIdentifier (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:10740:14)
    at FlowParserMixin.checkLVal (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:10686:12)
    at FlowParserMixin.checkParams (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:12327:12)
    at FlowParserMixin.checkParams (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:6076:18)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseFunctionBody (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:12280:12)
    at /app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:5282:70
    at FlowParserMixin.forwardNoArrowParamsConversionAt (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:5468:16)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseFunctionBody (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:5282:19)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseArrowExpression (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:12260:10)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseExprAtom (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:11564:25)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseExprAtom (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:7238:20)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseExprSubscripts (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:11171:23)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseUpdate (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:11153:21)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseMaybeUnary (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:11127:23)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseMaybeUnaryOrPrivate (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:10956:61)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseExprOps (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:10962:23)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseMaybeConditional (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:10937:23)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseMaybeAssign (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:10895:21)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseMaybeAssign (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:6030:18)
    at /app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:10863:39
    at FlowParserMixin.allowInAnd (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:12640:12)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseMaybeAssignAllowIn (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:10863:17)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseExprListItem (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:12380:18)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseCallExpressionArguments (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:11367:22)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseCoverCallAndAsyncArrowHead (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:11279:29)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseSubscript (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:11210:19)
    at FlowParserMixin.parseSubscript (/app.asar/node_modules/@babel/parser/lib/index.js:6139:18)

Commands

-0:13.6.0 tidalcycles:boot (atom-pane.pane.active)

Non-Core Packages

tidalcycles 3.16.17 

Additional Information

1 Like

I too recently installed this package and am also getting the same error.

Could this be an issue of two file paths becoming concatenated? Or perhaps that is just an artifact of the log message being printed weird.

SyntaxError: C:\Users\omarj\AppData\Local\Programs\pulsar\file:\C:\Users\omarj\.pulsar\packages\tidalcycles\lib\repl.js: Binding 'eval' in strict mode. (86:14)

Curious what this means: Binding 'eval' in strict mode

Looks like it is being worked on. I will try to get vim going in the meantime if there is not a known solution for this one. :slight_smile:

Currently, to use Pulsar with Tidal, you must manually install the tidalcycles package. Details and instructions are on the Pulsar page of the user Documentation: Pulsar | Tidal Cycles

Unfortunately, there aren't Windows specific instructions for manual package installation into Pulsar. But you may be able to figure it out by seeing the steps that are required (git clone, npm install, etc.

You may want to wait until the tidalcycles package can be installed with the Pulsar package manager. That solution will be much easier and is expected by the end of the year.

For SuperDirt to load with SuperCollider, there are config instructions at the SuperDirt GH: GitHub - musikinformatik/SuperDirt: Tidal Audio Engine
You need to have the default_superdirt.scd as the startup file.

1 Like

Are there people using Pulsar successfully with tidal?

I just tried installing the Pulsar tidal package manually on an Ubuntu machine and got this error:

Versions

Atom: 1.101.0-beta x64
Electron: 12.2.3
Thrown From: Atom Core

Stack Trace

Uncaught Error: write EPIPE

At events.js:292

Error: write EPIPE
    at afterWriteDispatched (internal/stream_base_commons.js:156:25)
    at writeGeneric (internal/stream_base_commons.js:147:3)
    at Socket._writeGeneric (net.js:785:11)
    at Socket._write (net.js:797:8)
    at writeOrBuffer (internal/streams/writable.js:358:12)
    at Socket.Writable.write (internal/streams/writable.js:303:10)
    at Process.writeLine (process.js:53:24)
    at REPL.tidalSendLine (repl.js:78:15)
    at REPL.initTidal (repl.js:38:12)
    at REPL.start (repl.js:29:10)
    at HTMLElement.tidalcycles:reboot (tidalcycles.js:61:21)
    at CommandRegistry.handleCommandEvent (/app.asar/src/command-registry.js:405:43)
    at CommandRegistry.dispatch (/app.asar/src/command-registry.js:292:17)
    at AtomEnvironment.dispatchApplicationMenuCommand (/app.asar/src/atom-environment.js:1603:19)
    at EventEmitter.outerCallback (/app.asar/src/application-delegate.js:323:47)
    at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:315:20)
    at Object.onMessage (electron/js2c/renderer_init.js:93:925)

Commands

-2:56.1.0 application:open-file (div.tool-panel.tree-view)
     -2:46.5.0 settings-view:view-installed-packages (ul.list-inline.tab-bar.inset-panel)
     -2:43.1.0 core:confirm (input.hidden-input)
     -0:27.4.0 tidalcycles:reboot (input.hidden-input)
tidalcycles 3.16.44 

Yes, Tidal does work with Pulsar. I use it daily on MacOS, and also have Linux (xbuntu 22.04 and ubuntu Studio 22.10) and Windows VMs with Pulsar and Tidal working. I haven't seen these types of error messages and I'm not an expert - so hopefully others will reply who have deeper knowledge.

What I suggest is to check to see if the rest of your Tidal components are installed/configured properly - specifically Haskell, cabal and the Haskell tidal package. From a terminal you should be able type: ghci and get a Haskell prompt. Exit from that and run the following to make sure your tidal Haskell package is installed:

cabal update 
cabal v1-install tidal

IMHO - the best way to install the full Tidal env on Linux is via the automated Ansible installer. See: Linux | Tidal Cycles
If you have a fully running SuperCollider and SuperDirt - the installer should detect these and skip them.

That page in the User Doc for Linux install also has more details on installing individual components so it is a great reference.

I see a "tidalcycles: reboot" command in the list, it should work, but it could be an additional variable in the troubleshooting process.

What if you close pulsar and start it again?