Live recording into tidal - getting audio input working

Ah you can try something then. I see that your input and output ports does not match you devices input and output. In SuperCollider you can open you startup script under "File -> Open startup script". Than you can copy/paste i.e. this file there and adjust it to your needs: https://github.com/musikinformatik/SuperDirt/blob/develop/superdirt_startup.scd

1 Like

Ah ha, I think that did it. Thanks for the help, hopefully now I can dig in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again - I know it's been a while but I'm still working on this. I'm trying to figure something out -

I'm wanting to record some longer sounds, maybe lasting 5 to 10 seconds, so I've used slow 5. I want to continuously play back and record a loop, so I've used the overdub mode.

d1 $ qtrigger 1 $ slow 5 $ stack [s "olooper",s "loop"] 

I want to create an effect where the more a buffer is played back, the more distorted it becomes until eventually, say after 8 plays, it stops, and you can just hear the rest of the buffers. The rest of the buffers would do the same and stop after 8 plays too. The whole pattern would keep recording, distorting, playing, and then stopping as described. Could you help me figure this out?

I thought it might be something like -

d1 $ qtrigger 1 $ slow 5 $ stack [s "olooper",s "loop"] # squiz "0 5 10 15"

but this doesn't seem to add the squiz effect very noticeably? Also, it doesn't solve the stop after 8 plays problem.

Any help is always appreciated, hope you can understand what I mean!

Hey @lucyjp786 nice to hear that you keep experimenting with the looper :slight_smile:

but this doesn't seem to add the squiz effect very noticeably?

I guess you should use the squizbus when you are playing with longer samples and you want to apply the distortion in a shorter period of time:

d1 $ qtrigger 1 $ slow 5 $ stack [s "olooper",s "loop"] # squizbus 1 "0 5 10 15"

But when you want to add more and more distortion with each repition you could simply do it with the mini notation:

d1 $ qtrigger 1 $ slow 5 $ stack [s "olooper",s "loop"] # squiz  "<0 5 10 15>"

I want to create an effect where the more a buffer is played back, the more distorted it becomes until eventually, say after 8 plays [...]

I wrote a custom little helper function which stops the pattern after a specific amount of cycles and starts the pattern quantised from the beginning:

seqC x y pt= (p x . (|< orbit (x-1))) $ qtrigger x $ seqP [(0, y, pt)]

-- you could use it for stream id 1 (lets say d1) and play the pattern for 8 cycles:
seqC 1 8 $ slow 5 $ stack [s "olooper",s "loop"] # squiz  "<0 5 10 15>"

[...] say after 8 plays, it stops, and you can just hear the rest of the buffers. The rest of the buffers would do the same and stop after 8 plays too.

I hope I could help you with your problem but it feels like that I did not fully understand this sentence. If you want to replace each recorded track with silence, you should use the rlooper. I mean in case you want to record 4 tracks and then every recorded track should dismiss one by another.
With your code and the usage of oloolper, you will just have one buffer (your recording will be added to the existing buffer).

Thanks so much for your help :blush:

I'm don't really understand how squizbus works but maybe that is a key.

Also your custom helper function which stops the pattern after a specific amount of cycles (seqC 1 8 etc.....) comes back with this error message for me:

t> • Variable not in scope: seqC :: Integer -> Integer -> Pattern ControlMap -> t • Perhaps you meant one of these: ‘seq’ (imported from Prelude), ‘seqP’ (imported from Sound.Tidal.Context)

Any idea why?