Passing in the "cut" length to sustain

d1 $ struct ("t(3, 8)") $ s "drum_synth"
# legato (1)

d1 $ struct ("t(3, 8)") $ s "drum_synth"
# cut (1)

I believe the two above examples are equivalent when using a drum synth that takes the sustain argument as its length.

The behaviour I am after would give to the synth as its sustain argument, first a dotted crotchet, secondly a dotted crotchet, and then a regular crotchet, rather than quaver values with rests in between

Legato and cut are equivalent when using Euclidian rhythms because of their implementation iirc. t(3,8) is actually just t ~ ~ t ~ ~ t ~.

You could tweak the pattern to do what you want but it would be a pain if you want to change to any other. Euclidian rhythm. If you just want to use the Cuban tresillo you could simply use t _ _ t _ _ t _.

However this seems like a big limitation from Tidal. Maybe there should be a way to make the euclidians elongate notes instead of put rest notes in the middle. But I'm also not sure it is possible since I barely understand the code that makes Tidal. I imagine a possible mininotation for it being t_(3,8).

What do you reckon @yaxu @ndr_brt ?

1 Like

There's an issue for this, and I did the same proposal as you for the notation: Contiguous euclid · Issue #760 · tidalcycles/Tidal · GitHub

2 Likes