Tidal 1.7 is released!

Just completed a successful upgrade on Big Sur. For CLI sclang users remember that you can upgrade SuperDirt with the following command in the sc3 prompt:

Quarks.checkForUpdates({Quarks.install("SuperDirt", "v1.7.2"); thisProcess.recompile()})

Thanks, Yaxu.

5 Likes

For those having install problems, I made a separate thread here -> Tidal 1.7 install problems

Any more success / failure stories with this release? We'll put Tidal 1.7.1 up with some small fixes so lmk of any annoyances!

That's a good way for everyone to upgrade really.. Thanks!

1 Like

Lately I've had various, mysterious issues with my previous Tidal build. That wass before updating FWIW. And I kept failing on updating too.

So I ended doing a fresh OS install (Win 10) , and went for Chocolatey install : went flawlessly. Just updated manually to most recent SC / SC plugins afterward.

I've even found the reason of previous bugg (believe me it drove me mad, as everything looked like it worked, but output no sound nor MIDI) : a simple line in my startup.scd file that suddenly stopped working :S :

SuperDirt.start;

s.waitForBoot {

MIDIClient.init;
	~midiOut = MIDIOut.newByName("Tidal", "Tidal");
	~dirt.soundLibrary.addMIDI(\midi, ~midiOut);

};

After some trial and error, removing s.waitForBoot solve the problem. If anyone's running into the same issue, that could be a solution.

Anyway, now off to enjoy 1.7, thanks Alex and everyone involved !

Ah yes if you're doing custom SuperDirt configuration I think it's best not to use SuperDirt.start which I think will have its own 'waitForBoot' and having two is probably confusing things.

In the final section of this I go into how to configure superdirt:
Technical tour of a tidal system

With this you can then put everything into the same 'waitforboot'

2 Likes

Hi Junior3,

I almost upgraded (I am talking about Mac OS Big Sur update, not tidal) today but refrained myself after seeing that official SC does not support it and other github conversations stating there was a fix, but audio input were not working properly.
Did you have any issues regarding SC on Big Sur or any workaround ?

A.

I had the timing problem everyone is talking about. I manually compiled SC with the following patch:

I can't speak towards the audio input issue as I'm not familiar with it. Good luck.

It helped quite a lot, thanks Alex !

Ok, thanks

Tidal 1.7.1 is up! Mainly a maintenance release https://github.com/tidalcycles/Tidal/releases/tag/1.7.1

2 Likes

Hi!
I've upgraded at latest versions (both tidal & superdirt) and when some control bus functions are involved in my code it doesn't give any result. i.e.

d1 $ sound "sax" # legato 1 # squizbus 1 "0 1.5 0 1.5" --that's running, but I can't hear the squiz effect
d1 $ sound "sax" # legato 1 # squizbus 1 "0 1.5 0 1.5" # lpfbus 2 "400 2000 3000" # lpq 0.2 --no sound at all....
d1 $ jux rev $ s "sax" # ampbus 1 ("[1 0 [1 0] 1]*6") # legato 1 --no sound at all etc...

There's no error reported on the console. What's going on?

Sorry I missed this message. I think that the most likely problem is superdirt not being up to date. Supercollider quarks can be quite awkward to upgrade sometimes, but superdirt needs to be on v1.7.2

1 Like

upgraded this week on manjaro linux and mac os catalina (both machines from 2012)
things seem good, thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

v1.7.2 is out!

• tidal-parse additions and improved errors, haskellish dependency fix @dktr0
  • spring cleaning and delinting, recreated Time.hs, renamed ControlMap toValueMAp @yaxu
  • start of major refactoring of chords @cleary
  • fix . mininotation operator @zudov
  • stateful event parameters, for counting @yaxu
  • Move some stuff from BootTidal.hs to the tidal library, to reduce dependencies there @yaxu
8 Likes

Hey @yaxu. Thanks for the update!
Is it possible for you to talk a bit about this?

• stateful event parameters, for counting

Cheers

1 Like

@ben he (literally) just covered it in the tidal meet up #1 session. There will be a #2 session in a few hours if you're able to catch it?

1 Like

I've now posted about it here:

1 Like

super helpful. love the part where you can paste the tidal startup code in the SC startup file and it loads automatically on opening. brilliant!

1 Like

@yaxu is it possible (or should it?) to use continuous patterns with control busses?
It looks like that something like this does not work:

d1 $ slow 4 $ s "bev" # lpfbus 1 (slow 16 $ sine * 7000) # legato 1

Am I missing something?

2 Likes