Week 1 lesson 3 - sequencing with the mini-notation

Yeah, but the quote thing kind of a mis-feature for a forum like this. It would be nice to be able to casually paste snippets into messages and have them run without worrying about the preformat stuff. Especially since tidal snippets tend to be so short, if they were always huge blocks of code you’d want the preformat anyway. I wonder if it’s possible to turn it off…

Do you have sc3-plugins installed? I think that’s where that synth comes from.

You need to change the internet quote symbols to regular quotes.

1 Like

d1 $ rarely (jux $ striate 16) $ sometimes rev $ every (irand 5) (slow (rand * 4.0)) $ n "1 [0 3 4] 2 3" # s "bd [jazz jazz jazz] popkick bd"

Like so, right?

great one ! i also felt compelled to dig into this example which was super cool to understand irand - i played with cut a bit but i still didn't get it fully
here's my hack of your cool snippet, i added funny samples and a phaser.... :japanese_ogre:

d1 $ every (irand 16) (slow (irand 64 + (rand * 3.0))) $ n "3 0/2 1/3 0 1 1/5 3 2 0 2 0 4 [ 1 [1 1 ] 1 1]" # s "808bd:1 808sd:1 808:1 bass:0 bass:1 " # cut "[1 2 3]*2" #phaserdepth 10 #phaserrate 3

1 Like

I thought so, but i ran into a problem. i went in quarks, ticked 3Dj and recompiled and got quite an error message (detailed in this post).
which plugins did you mean?

Follow the link in my last post. There’s a package that includes extra synths which you need to install. It’s also discussed in the tidal install instructions: https://tidalcycles.org/index.php/MacOS_installation#Optional_Prerequisites

Neat way to control the range of oscillators like rand is:

d1 $ every (irand 4) (slow $ range 1.5 3 rand) $ n "1 0 2 3" # s "bd" # cut 1

Also, in this example you only need bd once for the sound, the structure comes from the four values of the n to the left.

1 Like

Ooh hot tip, I thought that was the case. What happens if you have $ n "1 0 2 3" # s "bd sn"? Does that then mean that 1 and 0 will apply to bd and 2 3 to sd?

Er, I think so. Slightly complex topic:

https://tidalcycles.org/index.php/Combining_pattern_structure

1 Like

you mean Super Dirt not super cool lol :wink:

side question: @yaxu Is there a Jupyter notebook style tidalcycles interactive notebook that could be run or shared as interactive code snippets that has haskell and everything running via a server some where and interactive in the browser? If not, would be cool to attempt one.

That sounds rad! Can you tell me what the 0/2 1/3 etc. are doing functionally to the pattern?

The idea has popped up, and it would be a great thing, but I've not seen it done. It probably wouldn't be that difficult, as there is a haskell backend (or whatever you call it) for jupyter. On a similar tip, I've been talking with David Ogborn about interactive documentation for his estuary framework. https://github.com/dktr0/estuary

3 Likes

Ok I've located and disabled the smart quote option!

3 Likes

thanks for the pointer. i got the plugins from the github page and included them in the xtensions folder, but couldn't recompile class library properly... i wonder what is wrong. i'll put the SC console log in the other post. :slight_smile:

They're supposed to disable the sounds on periodic base

-0 would be played once every 2 rounds
-1 would be played once every 3 rounds

/ is quite practical!

It's more than steps are 'slowed down' with / - check the latest lesson for details

1 Like

watching now, thanks for clearing this out

It is interesting you mention that because that surprises me a little. In the tutorial, things are also presented that way : / "slows down" a "part of a pattern", which sounded a bit weird to me - here you're saying the step is "slowed down". I don't really understand what it means for a step to me "slowed down" (but you used quotes so that must be for some reason !). But anyway, in my experience, it seems that, as @gnozo had it,
" bd bd/3 bd" does exactly the same as "bd <bd ~ ~> bd".
isn't it the case ?

On the same topic, there is something that seems misleading in the tutorial. When it comes to explaining the * it says that it repeats a pattern (a step or steps ?), and illustrates this by saying that d1 $ sound "bd * 2" is the same as doing d1 $ sound "bd bd" . But what d1 $ sound "bd*2" actually does is d1 $ sound "[bd bd]", right ? And though it is true that, in this particular instance, both will sound the same, it's not true generally.