"Learning Tidal" course week zero - installation and exploration

Hi everyone!

I’ve had tidal installed on my Windows 10 laptop for about a month about a year ago and everything went smoothly, but after some time i deleted everything related. Now, while trying to reinstall, no matter if i’m trying the choco install or the manual installation (via the instructions on tidalcycles.org), i get the same error with ghc every time, which is this message > https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/issues/17319, only the error code is 1920. I’ve been desperately trying everything I could find on various forums, here, toplap and other places to fix it, but nothing seems to work. The file it seems to not be able to access is in the folder path it provides in the message. The install runs to the end, again, both in choco or manually, but some of the packages in tidal library seem to not install citing problems with ghc (if i understand it correctly?) again. Despite that, the console message is that some packages failed to install but the library has been installed succesfully, and if i try to run tidal everything is smooth in SuperCollider, SuperDirt works with no problems, and Atom packages works just fine, but the sound is not there due to the same ghc error message in atom. I’m not sure what to do next and start to think it has to do either with numerous reinstallations (that i tried to clean up every time) or the exact versions of ghc and/or windows on this machine. However, as I used to have tidal working fine on this very machine last year, I hope this is fixable.

Thanks!

Hi @wildlighted,

Sorry for not answering before, I missed this one!

That's an annoying error with the libwinpthread-1.dll file. I found someone with possibly the same issue - the file is there but a compiler says it isn't. The top solution looks promising:

I'd be happy to have a quick look remotely using teamviewer, while you watch, if that helps? Send me a direct message if so - I think I'd need your id and password. https://www.teamviewer.com/

Hi Alex
Thanks!
I think I have installed everything right, but as soon as I run the code [d1 $ sound "bd sd"], I get the following message in the Atom post window:

Choose ghcup default path: /Users/panosamelidis/.ghcup/bin

Ghci command: /Users/panosamelidis/.ghcup/bin/ghci Ghc-pkg command: /Users/panosamelidis/.ghcup/bin/ghc-pkg

Load BootTidal.hs from /Users/panosamelidis/.atom/packages/tidalcycles/lib/BootTidal.hs

Loaded package environment from /Users/panosamelidis/.ghc/x86_64-darwin-8.8.3/environments/default

t>

t>Listening for controls on 127.0.0.1:6010

t>

That looks good! Are you not hearing sound? Is superdirt running in supercollider?

Thanks Alex, works fine now!

6 posts were split to a new topic: New 'ansible' method for installing on Ubuntu and other Linux distros

Hey all, so excited to be participating in this course!

I've been using Tidal with no problem for about a month now, and I've set up the start file in Supercollider as described, and there has been no issues or crises until now.

I took a break from using Tidal to work in Ableton a little bit, and when I returned I found that all my samples in Tidal were playing extremely low, and I wasn't able to return them to the proper pitch. When I tried reinitializing Superdirt, I got the following error:

ERROR: Input sample rate is 96000, but output is 44100. Mismatched sample rates are not supported. To disable input, set the number of input channels to 0.
could not initialize audio.
Server 'localhost' exited with exit code 0.

Not sure how this could have happened, anyone know how to fix it? I've tried restarting my computer to no avail.

That's strange. Maybe fiddling around in your system prefs before starting/restarting supercollider + superdirt would help.. It could be that the default input is set to a bluetooth device, or something like that.

Yeah it looks like the issue was that when I was in Ableton the input was set to no input...

I switched it to built in input in Ableton and it worked again!

1 Like

Hello @yaxu
I know that this issue was already pointed out, and probably there is a simple way to resolve this. But, every time I start Atom that message appears. I have sound and Super Collider is working fine so I suppose it's not a big deal that error. I didn't try those command lines in the terminal because everything is working and I'm afraid that I mess things up if I change that. So, my question is, if everything is working I should't worry about that error, right?
I'm on a MacBook with Mojave 10.14.6.
P.S.: I'm on the first week of the TidalCycles course and loving it :smile: Thanks and all the best.

Yes that would get a bit annoying. In atom preferences, are you on the latest version of the tidalcycles package? @ndr_brt has been releasing a lot of updates lately. But yes if everything is working you can ignore that, the only error is that it is treating some information as if it was an error.

That message appears for two reason:

• a feature that shows the error messages on the console as atom notifications (that can be disabled in configuration)
  • that string is printed on the stderr by ghci (don't know why, it should be on stdout, it's a simple information)
1 Like

I just found (by trial an error) that ghci -v0 does not print the startup message and banner.

I have not idea what -v0 would change in a ghci session. Tidal seems to work fine.

Flag reference: https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/using.html#ghc-flag--v⟨n⟩ (it says that -v1 is default for --interactive, that is, ghci)

Hello, and thanks for the quick reply. I did the update of the TidalCycles package on Atom and now there's a new warning!
But i still have sound and Super Collider is working fine. :thinking:
So, for now I think it's OK because I'm able to do everything in Atom and generate sound.
If that situation changes I'll definitely ask for help.

Woa, nice! It's a pity because startup message is useful for troubleshooting...

for some reason your ghc-pkg does not understand where's tidal installation directory... that information is used for obtain the BootTidal.hs path, maybe that's more like a warning instead of an error, will correct it.

2 Likes

Released the new version without the Cannot obtain data-dir error.

About the ghc error... since I updated it to 8.10, the log stopped appearing

1 Like

Hello there! I had exactly the same

"Execution warning: Class 'Vowel' not found
ERROR: Message 'formLib' not understood."

error... and the "include("Vowel")" + recompile did NOT work... I still get the same error in supercollider when I try to run superdirt...

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Hm, that's strange, I'm not sure why that happened @Ouyuegu, maybe you had a network issue while it was downloading?

To troubleshoot, you could look in the folders to see if the Vowel quark (add-on) is actually there.

From the supercollider menus, it's File -> Open user support directory -> downloaded-quarks. There should be a Vowel folder there.

If you're familiar with 'git', it's a git repository, so you could try diagnosing the problem from the commandline.

Otherwise, you could try downloading the quark manually from here: https://github.com/supercollider-quarks/Vowel/archive/refs/heads/master.zip . It will uncompress as a folder 'Vowel-master', you'll need to rename it to Vowel and move it into that downloaded-quarks folder (deleting any existing folder).

Yes! Manual downloading worked perfectly. It seems that my install of Tidal had only partially populated the downloaded-quarks folder...

We live and learn.

Thank you!