Ableton Link installation

Hello,
Wis Ableton Link installed together with Tidal Cycles?
Or how does it work? Do I need just the header files? I can't really understand.
Thanks for the help.
D

Hi @lucretiomsp

Yes if you installed tidalcycles, it will already have ableton link support enabled. It's switched on by default, so you don't need to do anything to sync with something else on the same network, it just happens.

Thanks for the reply. I was asking that because for our Pharo port it will probably the best thing to make FFI to Ableton Link to have a tight clock and tick. So I was wondering if I can just copy the header file into the Pharo image or if I have to compile Ableton Link to be able to do FFI calls

Header file will not be enough in a port. Link is a compiled library. Please check Tidal/tidal-link at main · tidalcycles/Tidal · GitHub to understand how we create an API to bridge Haskell and C++.

In case it's useful, tidal vortex (python port) also does scheduling based on link:
GitHub - tidalcycles/vortex: Experiments in porting tidal to python

Hi, I just got a new computer (M2 macbook pro, ventura 13.6.2) and link is not working with Tidalcycles. Link in Ableton Live connects to other link apps on my wifi network, but Tidalcycles does not, nor will it connect with Ableton Live on the same computer. I'm using TidalCycles version 1.9.4.

Hi, just following up on this. Any ideas of what to try to explore why it's not working? I did try setting cEnableLink = True explicitly in BootTidal.hs but Tidal still won't connect to Ableton (same computer).

same issue, just got a new(-ish) M1 MBP for the explicit purpose of tidaling with it and link doesn't seem to work :frowning: no errors, it just doesn't connect.

works fine on windows though!

@sherwood yaxu has pushed an update to tidal-link that will hopefully fix it. try running cabal update in a terminal session and reinstalling tidal.
GitHub issue for reference:

Yes, it works thank you, yay!

3 Likes