Ambiguous module name ‘Sound.Tidal.Context’: it was found in multiple packages: tidal-1.4.8 tidal-1.4.8

Hello @yaxu!
I' ve updated tidal but a problem appeared:

: error:
Ambiguous module name ‘Sound.Tidal.Context’:
it was found in multiple packages: tidal-1.4.8 tidal-1.4.8

Thank you for your help!

Similar problem here on mac osx. Everything goes smooth in terminal, but when I try to boot tidal in Atom, I get this message:
Choose ghcup default path: /Users/panos/.ghcup/bin

Ghci command: /Users/panos/.ghcup/bin/ghci Ghc-pkg command: /Users/panos/.ghcup/bin/ghc-pkg

Just fixed it. I had to delete the "default" file from the "/Users/panos/.ghc/x86_64-darwin-8.8.3/environments" folder and do "cabal install tidal --lib" in terminal.

4 Likes

@panos can you explain me how to find this file?

When you start tidal, before it says this:

: error:
Ambiguous module name ‘Sound.Tidal.Context’:
it was found in multiple packages: tidal-1.4.8 tidal-1.4.8

it should give the location of the file that you need to delete.
Sorry this is a bug in Haskell, I reported it a while ago and hopefully will be fixed soon!

@vasi.valentino Sure. It's hidden. So, from the finder taskbar go to "go --> go to file" or "shift+cmd+G" and paste the address "/Users/your_user_name/.ghc/x86_64-darwin-8.8.3/environments". It should take you there.

It is a text file, so if you edit in a text editor you can just delete all but one of the mentions of tidal 1.4.9, then you won't have to re-run cabal install.

1 Like

Oh i found it!
Thank you @panos!

Ok,
now everything works fine!
Thank you very much @yaxu!

I was having an issue updating as well, I was stuck on 1.4.8 even after running yaxu's update command sequence. I had to delete ..environments/default and then run the install sequence again as @panos suggested.

1 Like

It worked for me! Thanks : )

Hi ! I just tried and something went wrong:

Last login: Sat Apr 18 02:55:50 on ttys000

alfonsinamora@MacBook-Air-de-Ana-4 ~ % . ~/.ghci/env

.: no such file or directory: /Users/alfonsinamora/.ghci/env

alfonsinamora@MacBook-Air-de-Ana-4 ~ % cabal update

cabal install tidal --lib

zsh: command not found: cabal

alfonsinamora@MacBook-Air-de-Ana-4 ~ % cabal update

cabal install tidal

alfonsinamora@MacBook-Air-de-Ana-4 ~ %

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm sorry @ana.mora, I had a typo in my post (now fixed).
You need to do this:

. ~/.ghcup/env 

before the

cabal update
cabal install tidal --lib
1 Like

Muchas gracias! Everything runs and now it's working :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here on Linux Lubuntu :

Install seems allright (without the --lib), says 1.4.9 installed,
but then Tidal (Atom editor) is not working, every command returns a "variable not in scope..."

for linux : I took inspiration from the last posts and deleted the tidal-1.4.8-blah.conf that was standing in the

/home/leon/.ghc/x86_64-linux-8.0.2/package.conf.d

folder, leaving only the tidal-1.4.9-blah that was there, and everything's ok now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm glad I found this thread, which helped me solve the issue. But just to note that the problem still exists.

Just went on vacation hoping to have a minute to get back into the practice and foolishly updated right before getting on the plane. Yeesh I've been spoiled by cargo. Hopefully this thread will help me get my computer to realize I'm not a Haskell developer I just like one particular piece of software written in it.

[edit]
it worked, deleting the default made the default used by vscode match the default used by the installer. people sure do build complex systems. :slight_smile: