Ambiguous module name

Ouch ... I somehow completely messed up my Tidal install and cannot run anything anymore #(

I'm sorry being such a n00b with two left arms and 15 thumbs, but this is the error:

t> Loaded package environment from /Users/A/.ghc/x86_64-darwin-8.8.4/environments/default

t> : error:
Ambiguous module name ‘Sound.Tidal.Context’:
it was found in multiple packages: tidal-1.6.1 tidal-1.6.1

Variable not in scope: tidal_version :: [Char]

I have been trying to reinstall everything but no cigar.

Don't worry this is a very common problem, due to a bug in cabal. Just delete that /Users/A/.ghc/x86_64-darwin-8.8.4/environments/default it mentions and install the tidal library again. Or edit that file to remove the duplicated entries for tidal.

You can avoid this bug by always using cabal v1-install tidal to install the tidal library, instead of the more modern (and more broken) cabal install tidal --lib.

Alright! Thank you!

I deleted all I could and reinstalled everything once again. Now it works and I can get sound out despite that it still gives the following errors (when code is executed the first time) in red colour in the atom editor terminal:

t> Loaded package environment from /Users/A/.ghc/x86_64-darwin-8.8.4/environments/default

t>

t> Listening for controls on 127.0.0.1:6010

Perhaps they are not critical (fingers crossed) ...

They're not errors, the Loaded... has been removed in ghc 8.10, and Listening... will be removed in the next tidal version I think :wink:

Oh, ok thanks for clarifying, the red text threw me off!

Had the same bug while upgrading but this thread saved the day. Thanks all! :smiley:

1 Like