Can't handshake with SuperCollider?

Hi all,
I'm having this weird problem where Atom says "Can't handshake with SuperCollider without control port" . The strange thing is that Tidal is working fine, I can do everything as normal. But after running a bit of code, it chokes up and starts making some pretty weird sounds. If I restart it the same thing happens. I'm not sure if the two problems are related since I did have this problem of the weird sounds before but it was a rare occurrence now it happens every time. I think I started getting this error after loading some of samples into SuperDirt. I'm pretty new to this so I am probably over looking something very obvious.

for reference this is the weird sounds. its almost sounds cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYNsSMJ1rxQ&ab_channel=niamhmccool

1 Like

I have had the first "problem" as well, but so far atom seems to be working fine for me.

Hm, what versions of Tidal (run tidal_version in your editor) and SuperDirt (have a look in Language > Quarks) are you running?

Does cpu usage go high, and if so what process(es) are using the cpu?

Are you using a custom BootTidal.hs, if so what have you changed?

This thread is a bit old, but after upgrading Ubuntu a couple months back i could not send messages to Superdirt via Atom, thought i'd need to reinstall everything and left it there. I installed the Visual Studio Tidal plugin today, everything seems to run everything fine, at least for now.
Then I tried again with Atom, and although the messages can be sent, i get this handshake error in the output :

t> [TidalCycles version 1.7.2]
Installed in /home/psygnozo/.cabal/share/x86_64-linux-ghc-8.8.4/tidal-1.7.2
Listening for external controls on 127.0.0.1:6010
That port isn't available, perhaps another Tidal instance is already listening on that port?
t> Can't handshake with SuperCollider without control port.
t>  
t> 

meanwhile with VS :

GHCi, version 8.8.4: https://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
Prelude> Prelude> [TidalCycles version 1.7.2]
Installed in /home/psygnozo/.cabal/share/x86_64-linux-ghc-8.8.4/tidal-1.7.2
Connected to SuperDirt.
tidal> tidal> tidal> tidal> tidal> tidal> tidal> tidal> 

I guess I'll just use VS but as i looked up the issue this popped up, wondering if it's a known issue with Atom or an error in my setup. there must be a new tidal version which might solve this, too, but strange that VS smiles while Atom frowns.

Maybe there's an atom plugin that listens on that port? Can you paste the whole console output? What's the tidalcycles plugin version?

1 Like

I was also having constant issues like this on Windows, using Atom. This was using the Chocolatey package with no other installed plugins.

Thanks for suggesting VS Code - it works flawlessly!

Will try VS Code next, but as a data point (if it's helpful), I've also run into this handshake issue with Atom on mac os x. Definitely strange, as I've changed nothing in my overall setup in weeks and it just started happening a couple of days ago. I'm a little hesitant to reinstall — it was a relatively complicated process the last go round.

I'm getting the same error in VS Code:

ghci> ghci> [TidalCycles version 1.9.2]
Installed in /usr/share/haskell-tidal
That port isn't available, perhaps another Tidal instance is already listening on that port?
Warning: GHCi | Can't handshake with SuperCollider without control port.

I think either you're accidentally starting two instances of tidal, there's something else already listening on that port, or your operating system has some anti-virus type software stopping tidal from listening.

It's not a problem unless you want to receive osc (e.g. from midi) control messages into tidal.