Examples of "haskell-rich" tidal pieces

Has anyone here written a piece in tidal cycles that required significant coding besides defining the parameters of each element of the piece (e.g., some sort of counterpoint-generating monad, cellular-automata-based pattern, or any of the other workhorses of traditional algorithmic composition)? I'd love to see such code, as I'm trying to figure out whether tidal could ever stand in for non-live-coding algorithmic languages such as Common Music!

2 Likes

This terminology is beyond me, but I suspect you may want to take a look at some of the practice videos by left_adjoint/Clarissa Littler, eg

TidalCycles (7/27/2021): chips and comonadic rambles

There is a playlist:

3 Likes

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!

1 Like

In general people don't tend to (need to) escape from the Tidal DSL into the rest of Haskell, and stateful operations like cellular automata doesn't sit well with Tidal's focus on stateless pattern combinations and transformation.

That said there is now a way to create stateful events, as a useable working prototype. I'd love to see that pushed further.

Furthermore recently I've been thinking about replacing the mini-notation with proper Haskell with a distinct type for rhythms for Tidal v2.0. Then rhythms and patterns could be embedded in each other and stateful algorithmic composition on sequences would become more idiomatic to Tidal.

and a +1 on looking into what Clarissa is up to!

5 Likes