Exception in real time: alloc failed, increase server's memory allocation (e.g. via ServerOptions)

Hey all,
Just tried to add more sample packs under downloaded-quarks and I get this error:

exception in real time: alloc failed, increase server's memory allocation (e.g. via ServerOptions)

Seen something here: https://doc.sccode.org/Classes/ServerOptions.html -
I guess it's something like ServerOptions.memSize which I need to increase but not sure what value to increase it to? Maybe??

I have 2GB left on my computer, not much, but enough to hold one more sample pack I thought?

Any help as always appreciated

1 Like

When you start SuperCollider and it loads the already present samples, it goes something like:

loading ... sample banks:
[sample banks]
... file reading complete. Required ...MB of memory.

You can add up all these values plus the size of the sample bank you're trying to add, and that gives you a minimum value to which to set ServerOptions.memSize (I'd give it a couple hundreds MB more just in case).

You say you have 2GB left on your computer, so I guess you're talking about hard drive space, but here we're rather dealing with RAM. Do you know how much RAM you have at all and how much is used when SuperCollider is normally running? (if you don't know, tell us what OS you are using and we'll tell you how to).

Just to add to this, once you've worked out the memory size you need @lucyjp786 there's info about how to set this and other options here (from around 7:12):