Failure in server

Im on mac have installed and got it running about a week ago but now getting some weird issues. the console says this running a simple d1 $ n "0" # sound "cpu"

FAILURE IN SERVER /n_run Node 1003 not found
WARNING: SuperDirt: event falls out of existining orbits, index (2)

the audio starts to go very weird after a while and distorting too

when i start the server i get a whole bunch of messages ** ERROR: API Version Mismatch: /Users/josh/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/HOAUGens/HOAMirror3.scx

any ideas?
Josh

Are you using a custom setup? That error is saying you're trying to communicate with an nonexistent orbit. You may have your orbits badly declared or something. The Custom Samples page exemplifies:

(
s.waitForBoot {
	~dirt = SuperDirt(2, s); // two output channels
	~dirt.loadSoundFiles("/Users/myUserName/Dirt/samples/*"); // specify sample folder to load
	s.sync; // wait for supercollider to finish booting up
	~dirt.start(57120, [0, 0]); // start superdirt, listening on port 57120, create two orbits each sending audio to channel 0
};
);

That's only creating two orbits (See ~dirt.start(57120, [0, 0]);), you're gonna want more.

For example I use this instead:
~dirt.start(57120, 0!12);

I used to run into this error too, maybe we should change those examples in the wiki? @yaxu

1 Like

Hi,

thanks for the reply, I don't think I've done anything custom, here's my startup file now.

/*
This is an example startup file. You can load it from your startup file
(to be found in Platform.userAppSupportDir +/+ "startup.scd")
*/

(
// configure the sound server: here you could add hardware specific options
// see http://doc.sccode.org/Classes/ServerOptions.html
s.options.numBuffers = 1024 * 16; // increase this if you need to load more samples
s.options.memSize = 8192 * 16; // increase this if you get "alloc failed" messages
s.options.maxNodes = 1024 * 32; // increase this if you are getting drop outs and the message "too many nodes"
s.options.numOutputBusChannels = 2; // set this to your hardware output channel size, if necessary
s.options.numInputBusChannels = 2; // set this to your hardware output channel size, if necessary
// boot the server and start SuperDirt
s.waitForBoot {
	~dirt = SuperDirt(2, s); // two output channels, increase if you want to pan across more channels
	~dirt.loadSoundFiles;   // load samples (path containing a wildcard can be passed in)
	// for example: ~dirt.loadSoundFiles("/Users/myUserName/Dirt/samples/*");
	~dirt.loadSoundFiles("/Users/josh/TidalSamples/samples-extra/*");
	s.sync; // wait for samples to be read
	~dirt.start(57120, 0!12);   // start listening on port 57120, create two busses each sending audio to channel 0

// optional, needed for the sclang tests only:
	(

~d1 = ~dirt.orbits[0]; // one orbit
		~d2 = ~dirt.orbits[1];

);
};

s.latency = 0.3; // increase this if you get "late" messages
);

I still get the issue when I run d1 and d2 together.

WARNING: SuperDirt: event falls out of existining orbits, index (1)

That's strange. In Language > Quarks, make sure superdirt is up to date. Click 'check for updates', then select the version marked 'LATEST', if it isn't already selected. Then 'recompile class library'.

2 Likes