Favourite 'patterny' music not with Tidal?

This is a lovely thread, thanks everyone, keep 'em coming!

5 Likes

Oh, I just remembered there is a Sonic Pi example I did some time ago. This is constructed with a bass line and two voices playing a C resp. a D major triad in euclidian patterns:

Same code but different instruments:

Japanese math rock and Jazz is filled with examples of really interesting syncopated patterned and looping music. See also the current generation of British Jazz artists.

Australian "jazz" band the Necks did some great stuff back in the day. Their modern stuff is great too but to my ears a bit less patterny. Their approach to improvising has been pretty inspiring for a number of Australian improvisers over the last 20 years. One thing I like to do is listen to pieces of theirs and think about how I'd notate or code it.

First/most famous studio album:

My favourite live effort from them:

This one blows my mind - improvising like this sounds easy but is in my experience very very difficult.

2 Likes

Awesome thread! Such great stuff here. Some of my favorite pattern-based musics come from Africa and South America.

Kuduro is so funky:

And so much stuff from those places is like "is this in 4 or 3 or 6?" and the answer is "YES"

Terry Riley's "In C" still blows my mind (btw this probably wouldn't be too difficult to implement in tidal..):

1 Like

Can't recommend GoGo Penguin enough!

So many different patterns going on in their tunes, and if you like crazy DnB sounding break beats played under beautiful and complicated piano riffs with tasty bass melodies and patterns interspersed between, then this trio is for you!

3 Likes

iirc they were literally trying to emulate the looping aspect of sequencers while relating that to the afrobeat elements they were taking inspiration from (also known as stealing, if you will)

pd: this is their best song and one of the best songs ever, can't change my mind

5 Likes

Watched "stop making sense" again recently and realized some things.

• talking heads worked with Bernie Worrell and other Funkadelic related people and Alex Weir of Brothers Johnson (Strawberry Letter 23 still a solid track). His guitar playing is SEARING! So good! It's a pretty entertaining concert video in large part because of their performances (as well as David Byrne stage antics).

• this is more of an impression but... I believe they were so high.

Remain In Light is one of my all time favorite albums. I also like Songs About Buildings and Food but not quite as much.

2 Likes

While we are here telling how great the Talking Heads are, here is a link for the whole Stop Making Sense live show for those who haven't watched it. It blew my mind when I first discovered it.

The Tidal SF anticipation part start as soon as 4:30 with some drum-machine/patterning craziness. The whole show is all about patterns, joy and musical greatness.

4 Likes

A lot of patterns also in the Tomahawk records, probably the best band with Mike Patton

2 Likes

Someone send me this today and I really like it! Beautiful loop with a lot of technical interesting stuff is going on here.

3 Likes

Arvo Part, near perfect blend of logic and emotion, explained very well here

Steve Coleman's polymeters are really something

Himself explaining how the clave works

Kinda my favorite track of the album

3 Likes

Very interesting thread. Would you consider this beautiful piece of Dutch composer Simeon Ten Holt for four (!) pianos 'patterny'?

2 Likes

I came across this thread and found some great gems here, so I wanted to return the favour n.n

This whole piece is amazing (the original is for djembes), but this part onwards is just mindblowing:

This is from a series of works that deals with algorithmic patterns applied to the voice:

Some metal:

From the same guys as above (bonus points for the amazing visuals):

This I don't know how to describe it, but is definitively patterny:

1 Like

this album really changed how i listened to music with regards to rhythm, melody and how they interact. was absolutely obsessed with it for at least 2 years, shame they never released a follow up.

6 Likes

i think this thread also needs a mention of SND, who are incredible and very patterny as well:

4 Likes

I love Dawn of Midi! Its also really interesting how the piano is used percussively. Their music really influenced how I think and feel about slowly evolving patterns over time - how and when to change. I've recently thought about bringing this influence and rhythmic design into Tidal.

2 Likes

I adore them!

There's this video of Mark Fell performing in Max/MSP that never fails to blow my mind

5 Likes

Ryoji Ikeda