Favourite 'patterny' music not with Tidal?

I've been really enjoying this amazing band:

I find them really inspiring and can imagine having ideas for new functions while listening to it.

Any recommendations for similarly patterny stuff, from percussive manipulations to math rock?

9 Likes

Wow! Brilliant!

Though a totally different sound (and not really my cup of tea), after watching this video ...

... I thought the underlying ideas would provide an interesting starting point for rythmical experiments within Tidal.

2 Likes

Don't know if it's patterny enough, but this is the first record that comes to mind

3 Likes

Dawn of Midi were incredible. The album (Dysnomia) is great listening (and better audio quality), but seeing this music being made by real humans in real time is kind of mind-blowing:

9 Likes
1 Like

This is a kids music band from Argentina. I used to listen to this all the time, since I was 3 years old. No doubt I was going to be a Tidaler with these patterns...

You can skip the first minute if you don't know Spanish and want to get straight to the music.

1 Like

there's also this great kids song I learned in primary school, about traffic signals. every voice pattern is the meaning of a traffic sign, so we would learn it that way. they all start mixing together as the song progresses.

I have to add this amazing konnakol duet too:

and the incredible repetitive layering in here from Nisennenmondai:

5 Likes

(I'm biased, though!)

If we are looking for pattern-based music that could have been performed with Tidal but weren't, there are some classics that are still incredibly great even though they are old and mainstream:

n (run 16) like music, 4 to the floor like.

A repetitive pattern, never played the same more than twice, constant cps.

Erik Satie produced some works labelled furniture music, usually written for small chamber ensembles, sometimes for orchestra. They are meant to be played "in the background" (just like ambient music) but the description of these works is very often sardonic and humoristic. They are all based on patterns. The notes coming along with the score are often written in an old-school style used for ads in French newspapers from the XXth century. Translation of the notes coming along with the score:

Furniture music" is basically industrial. The habit - the usage - is to make music on occasions where music has nothing to do. There, they play "Waltzes", "Fantasies" from Operas, & other similar things, written for another purpose. We want to establish a music made to satisfy "useful" needs. Art does not enter into these needs. "Furniture music" creates vibration; it has no other purpose; it fulfils the same role as light, heat & comfort in all its forms.

Acoustic guitar fingerpicking, arpeggios, repetitive patterns, open tuning (kinda like bourdon / drone). Natural variations of the pattern are coming from the performer trying to articulate all this in a meaningful way. I really love John Fahey.

Jesus Blood Never Failed me Yet by Gavin Bryars. Repetition of a single sample, beautiful music. Everything else is written around the repetition of this old man singing.

2 Likes

Inspiring topic :headphones:
First band that comes to my mind would be Horse Lords from Maryland:

Maybe someone should try to re-write that track in TidalCycles at one point.

2 Likes

@crashingbooth i had the great pleasure of seeing dawn of midi open for oneohtrix point never (i think garden of delete era) and was just totally blown away. honestly it was one of the few fully transformative live shows i'd ever experienced and i don't think the recording does the band any justice. fully agree that one must experience this music live for the full effect!

1 Like

A must is Trey Spruance and Secret Chiefs 3. Pythagorean tuned instruments and he told me flattened platonic solids to generate the patterns they use.

Some might remember him from Mr. Bungle and one album of Faith No More.

damn. i can't even imagine going to a concert of any of them... maybe one day in the long time future ! lol

Check this out: Look at the frets on the guitar. Same with the bass:

Second track for instance. He makes use of Pygmy rhythms

1 Like

i think that may be a microtonal guitar

@kit-christopher - I believe you are right. As mentioned they supposedly tune to some Pythagorean tunings on some songs as least and he uses a lot of Persian inspired things as well, and plays a Saz sometimes. Anyway, I just thought that the complex time signatures composed were pretty brilliant, but only becomes evident when listening to more of their music. The 2007 live DVD is pretty amazing: Secret Chiefs 3 – Live At The Great American Music Hall 2007 +++ Aylaqruh:hurqalyA (2009, DVD) - Discogs

A fave of mine is Strobe by Deadmau5, love how the patterns grow and interfere to create the piece:

1 Like

A few favorites of mine, across genres:

I'm sure I could think of more :wink:

2 Likes