Formalising Konnakol - Haskell Summer of Code Update

Hey everyone!!

I thought this would be a good time to share the progress that I have made on my Haskell Summer of Code '22 project - Formalising Konnakol using Haskell. You can go through my detailed blog:

Part 1: Weeks 1-3
Part 2: Weeks 4-6

I have published my experiments with Konnakol as a package here.

The code repository has been linked here. You can find a detailed description of konnakol, sample diagrams, the audio files used and samples audios in the repository.

I would love to answer any questions you have regarding the project, or regarding konnakol, in general.

Huge shoutout to @yaxu for his guidance and support!!! :smiley: .

10 Likes

Dear Aravind, your project looks very exciting and promising!! My Name is Johannes Winkler, I'm a german composer and initiator of www.konnakol.de - together with my friend Anushaant Nayinai Wijayan and further carnatic mridangamists (we also invited B.C. Manjunath for a masterclass this year in Essen, Germany in march). @yaxu wrote me yesterday in a youtube comment about the new Tidal javascript port 'Strudel' - will your project be available for this, too? I'm composing some interactive carnaticrhythm snippets for our website and just stumbled across your project, would love to include it there, too! Personally, I'm also inspired by Rafael Reina's PhD on transfering carnatic-rhythm concepts to western contemporary music. Did you check it, too? It's an extensive work, helping contemporary music students to dive into advanced rhythms in some western 20th century pieces (for playing Zappa, Xenakis, Ferneyhough etc....) using some 'isolated' carnatic rhythm concepts that were adopted and slightly modified. We also give Konnakol Seminars here in Germany using this "western oriented branch" (always refering back to its coherent carnatic origins), it would be wonderful to have a browser based tool for our students (and us ;)). Thank you for your contribution, with kind regards, Johannes

2 Likes

Great job @ARAVIND_MOHANDAS and a nice write-up! Do you have a recording of the final version where Tidal can produce sound? It would have helped my understanding of your writing. If not, I can probably follow the usage examples when I get some time over.

@winklerworks that sounds like a great initiative!
If I would take a guess, this work will not be ported to Strudel. It would be a lot of work so I guess they will want to keep experimenting in Haskell and only port it when they have something stable. But I really don't know.

Hi Johannes, thank you for your kind words. We are currently working on developing a system in Tidal which could handle sequence-based as well as cycle based representations. Like @Zalastax said, we are focusing on getting this up and running on Haskell (https://github.com/tidalcycles/Tidal/tree/cycseq.

I haven't come across Rafael Reina's work, but would love to give it a read!!

Hi, you could find the final version of sample Konnakol audios in this repository under audiosamples. Do let me know if you want more information. You could find a summary of my works, with links to bi-weekly blogs here.

1 Like

Yes as the others have said the focus is on Tidal with better representation of sequences at the moment, but longer term the aim is to bring this to strudel too, it's just easier to work on representations in Haskell. In fact a lot of the work has brought tidal and strudel closer, the new tidal version is based on the same rewrite as strudel.