Getting experimental FeedForward editor to work

Any chance, your experimental editor would work on osx? i have been looking for ages to get following cursors on the patterns, would great to have this with atom !

It is possible, but would take some fiddling about, I donā€™t have a mac myself. Perhaps there is someone else here who has managed it. Hereā€™s the source: https://github.com/yaxu/feedforward

Looks like its being installed, but i am not sure i follow how to run it tho, i followed the supercollider stuff but then i hit a wall :slight_smile:

err.txt dumps
feedforward: sigaction

it looks like the keys doesnt work as expected
i can't evaluate for example...

That looks good! alt-enter to evaluateā€¦

(moved to its own topic)

thank you, make sense.
what could i do to try to help make it running on mac?

It looks like it is working, to me. Does alt-enter not work?

nope it doesnā€™t.
i replaced alt-enter by option-return on mac ( option is usually used instead of alt)

here is what i do and what i see

• start supercollider
  • evaluate s.options.maxLogins = 8;
  • evaluate (
    s.waitForBoot {
    s.options.numBuffers = 1024 * 256; // increase this if you need to load more samples
    s.options.memSize = 8192 * 32 * 64; // increase this if you get ā€œalloc failedā€ messages
    s.options.maxNodes = 1024 * 32; //
    ~dirt = SuperDirt(2, s); // two output channels
    //~dirt.loadSoundFiles("/Users/freeka/Dropbox/Desktop/audioCoding/TIdal/MYDIRTS/"); // specify sample folder to load
    ~dirt.loadSoundFiles("/Users/freeka/Dropbox/Desktop/audioCoding/TIdal/Dirt-Samples/
    "); // specify sample folder to load
    s.sync; // wait for supercollider to finish booting up
    ~dirt.start(57120, [0, 0]); // start superdirt, listening on port 57120, create two orbits each sending audio to channel 0
    s.meter;
    //~numWireBufs = 128;
    };
    );
  • evaluate ~dirt.startSendRMS; ( supercollider start to dump: exception in real time: alloc failed, increase serverā€™s memory allocation (e.g. via ServerOptions) )
    which i tried to change in my server options but still the same problem.
  • start feedforward 2> err.txt in my terminal
  • try a pattern: s ā€œbdā€
  • evaluate with (option+return, cmd+return, shift etc any combination possible) no sounds, or anything happening, trying to evaluate those ways just make a carriage return
  • trying to delete the carriage return or any characters using the delete key add ^? instead of deleting.

i tried to leave superdirt + feedforward open and send a pattern from atom which return
Control listen failed. Perhaps thereā€™s already another tidal instance listening on that port?

which means feedforward is actually doing something

i feel feedforward doesnt understand the keyboard mapping of the mac, would it make sense?

Itā€™s possible @freeka.freeka , although I thought another mac user had it workingā€¦

Looking at the code I remember that ā€˜ctrl-xā€™ also evaluates, so you could try that.

1 Like

cool it did the trick, ctrl-x evaluate, got the cursor following, and the vu-meter, i guess now i need to figure out the other commands or how to change them on mac. any idea where i could start?

i looked a bit in Edit.hs for the part with the commands, its a bit unclear for me why only
keyCtrl mvS 'x' = eval mvS would work and not the rest...

ps: hush doesn't work but ctrl+h act as the delete key instead, how odd!Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 5.54.25 PM

THANK YOU!

Iā€™m also interested in trying the feedforward editor and am seeing similar problems to those described by @freeka.freeka. Iā€™m using Fedora 32 and compiled/installed following the instructions for Arch after installing a couple of extra packages;

$ sudo dnf install alex happy ncurses-devel

Alt-Enter works OK but F10 doesnā€™t seem to have any effect, so Iā€™m unable to stop the program; is there an alternative key combination that I can use? If I just close the terminal window and supercollider, top reports feedforwardā€™s cpu usage as close to 100% - Iā€™m also unable to stop the process with the kill command.

Is there a key-binding that can be used to evaluate a single line instead of the whole file?

Jim

Itā€™s really just a working prototype and isnā€™t supported in any wayā€¦ You could look into the source code for adjusting key combos etc. killall -9 feedforward or similar should force quit processes.

Hi @yaxu on your github page you mention it is probably very difficult to get it installed on windows. Do you know if thereā€™s someone who has managed to get it up and running?
I really like the performative feel of the feedforward editor, however Iā€™m not much of a programmer so donā€™t think Iā€™d be able to make it work without some directions.

Is this something you know someone has been working on. Or if thereā€™s the intention and time to develop the editor for other platforms? I guess otherwise I could always run it in a vm

Long term Iā€™d like to make a cross-platform gui based on the same principles. I canā€™t help with compiling ffwd under windows, but hopefully someone else can help.

1 Like

Thanks @yaxu, I modified the quit key combo to use the F8 key and everything works fine now. I canā€™t find anything in my settings that uses or intercepts the F10 key so have no idea why the F10 wasnā€™t working. I understand that itā€™s not supported and probably not in your intended syllabus so am very grateful for you getting back to me.

2 Likes

Hey @jimwatson,
would you mind sharing how you changed the key? i presume its in the edit.hs?
Its weirdly hard to find keycommand for haskell on macā€¦

thanks!

Hello @freeka.freeka, I changed line 705 in Edit.hs from;

Just (EventSpecialKey (KeyFunction 10)) -> unlessKiosk quit

to;

Just (EventSpecialKey (KeyFunction 8)) -> unlessKiosk quit

This moved the quit function from F10 to F8. Thereā€™s something strange about the behaviour of F10 on my laptop but I canā€™t find anything to explain why.

1 Like

thanks!
yes same here, canā€™t really understand whats going on. atleast you lucky its one, on mac only one is working heheheh

Feedforward runs in a terminal window, maybe the terminal application youā€™re using blocks F10. I would have used ctrl-enter / shift-enter like in atom etc, but unfortunately it seems that itā€™s just not possible to get those key combos for such console applications. I will reimplement it as a gui somedayā€¦