How are you doing with the install process?

We've seen a lot of install problems, but maybe there are also a good number of people who have it installed fine. I'd love to have a picture of how you are doing at this point! Please answer this quick poll. If you like, feel free to give extra detail of your experience by hitting reply. Thanks!

• I haven't started installing
  • I'm in the process of installing
  • I tried to installed but it didn't work
  • I've installed, but it was hard work
  • I've installed, it was OK!
  • I already had it installed before the course
  • Something else (please comment)

0 voters

Hi! I have installed it and all is working fine now. I was facing difficulties getting it to work initially, but only because i didn’t know i was meant to use the Supercollider version 3.9 > . The one thread on here mentioned so. When i installed that it was super smooth installation and all worked fine (linux). Thank u alot =)

1 Like

Any recent version of supercollider should be fine, although under linux there are problems with the versions in the 'official' repositories being either really old or just broken. :confused: Glad it's working for you now!

2 Likes

Ahh then it makes sense because i was using Supercollider from the repos :expressionless: very sorry for the above misinformation for anyone using Linux!

If the poll is representative, then it seems we’re in a fairly good place with installation. The person who hit problems - please get in touch, ta!

On Arch Linux I tried the existing tidalcycles pacman package and I never could get it to work. When I switched to using ghcup it was smooth sailing. It seems like Arch recently changed something in the way they setup haskell that breaks the package but I never dug into it enough to actually understand the issue.

1 Like

Still having troubles! I seem to have everything installed and working fine, but Tidal is not properly loading the library… this is what I get

: error:
    Could not find module ‘Sound.Tidal.Context’
    It is not a module in the current program, or in any known package.

Variable not in scope: d1 :: t0 -> t

Variable not in scope: s :: [Char] -> t0

Having an error when doing cabal new-install tidal --lib
Here is what its saying. Feel like im going in circles with the troubleshooting options and getting nowhere. Pls help lol.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> cabal new-install tidal --lib
Resolving dependencies…
cabal.exe: Could not resolve dependencies:
[__0] trying: base-4.12.0.0/installed-4.1… (user goal)
[__1] trying: ghc-8.6.5/installed-8.6… (user goal)
[__2] next goal: process (user goal)
[__2] rejecting: process-1.6.8.2 (conflict: ghc =>
process==1.6.5.0/installed-1.6…)
[__2] rejecting: process-1.6.8.1, process-1.6.8.0, process-1.6.7.0,
process-1.6.6.0, process-1.6.5.1, process-1.6.5.0/installed-1.6…,
process-1.6.5.0, process-1.6.4.0, process-1.6.3.0, process-1.6.2.0,
process-1.6.1.0, process-1.6.0.0, process-1.5.0.0, process-1.4.3.0,
process-1.4.2.0, process-1.4.1.0, process-1.4.0.0, process-1.3.0.0,
process-1.2.3.0, process-1.2.2.0, process-1.2.1.0, process-1.2.0.0,
process-1.1.0.2, process-1.1.0.1, process-1.1.0.0, process-1.0.1.5,
process-1.0.1.4, process-1.0.1.3, process-1.0.1.2, process-1.0.1.1,
process-1.0.0.0 (constraint from user target requires ==1.6.8.2)
[__2] fail (backjumping, conflict set: ghc, process)
After searching the rest of the dependency tree exhaustively, these were the
goals I’ve had most trouble fulfilling: process, base, ghc

I’m sorry I forgot to mention i’m on Windows 10

I think you have multiple copies of haskell installed now, and atom is loading the wrong one.
Did you try this? "Learning Tidal" course week zero - installation and exploration - #46 by yaxu

Installation was fine here on Windows 10. But when I tried to start SuperDirt on SuperCollider, the server won’t boot, returning “RESULT = -1073741786”. A quick search on the web and I found out this was a problem related to JACK being installed on my system. I uninstalled JACK, tried to boot SuperDirt and everything worked fine. So, I hope this will be helpful for other users!

1 Like

@malnourish Hm, I’ve had a look around, and this seems to be yet another bug with cabal.
You should be able to fix it by deleting your package environment file and trying again. To find the location of that file, run ghci from the commandline, it should tell you the location when it starts up (saying Loaded package environment from …)

Ended up uninstalling everything and starting completely over haha. All good now though. Getting sounds! Thanks

1 Like

yes, on linux if you run into errors/missing path you should install ghcup instead of the stack ghci (as it is the default for the mac install already
check this & this for more info and install guides
: )

Hi,

my installation went good on ubuntu but I’d like to know if there is a way to properly stop all components and get the pc’s sound back to normal without rebooting.

Thanks,
Anthony

1 Like

Yes, by stopping jackd. I generally start and stop it with qjackctl. You can also stop it with killall jackd from a terminal window. Sometimes I have to do killall jackdbus instead, a bit unsure what’s going on there.

Thank you for quick response. It's exactly what i was looking for. :slightly_smiling_face:

I just found 2 guides related to jackd & pulseaudio coexisting on the forum, which sounds like a better solution than the one i was looking for. I'll try these out.

Best regards,
Anthony

1 Like

I just installed under Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 following the posted instructions and there were no errors. How do I verify that everything is working? I already had Atom installed.

Thanks,
Tom K

I think this is what you want: https://tidalcycles.org/index.php/Start_tidalcycles_and_superdirt_for_the_first_time

If you want to update docs, Instructions at https://tidalcycles.org/index.php/Start_tidalcycles_and_superdirt_for_the_first_time

say startup.scd should go here : ~/Library/Application\ Support/SuperCollider/startup.scd

Which looks like a MacOS path. Looked this up and put it in ~/.config/SuperCollider/startup.scd

I presume that you have to restart SC if it is already running? Does jackd need to be restarted? I’m getting the realtime scheduling error, SC3 plugins not found and

WARNING: Dirt could not load some synths from default-synths.scd, because sc3plugins are necessary and missing.

I did install from the Linux script.

UPDATE : everything is working…just need to look up how to switch default audio device in jack.

Will start looking through other docs.

Thanks,
Tom K

1 Like