How is everyone recording?

How is everyone recording? I've just been recording using SuperCollider. Are there settings/code that would improve the sound?

I mostly use d1 and stack lines. I don't know if I should be using separate d1, d2, etc and running it into a DAW like LMMS.

1 Like

hey. @johnnyl my approach is to create some orbits which are automatically routed to DAW with GitHub - SpotlightKid/jack-matchmaker: Auto-connect new JACK ports matching the patterns given on the command line. (works with jack and pipewire) in linux. Dont know about mac/windows though. Ofc u can use some GUI patchbay tool too.
In tidal:

-- for DAW
r1 = p 9 . (|< orbit 8)
r2 = p 10 . (|< orbit 9)
r3 = p 11 . (|< orbit 10)
r4 = p 12 . (|< orbit 11)
r5 = p 13 . (|< orbit 12)
r6 = p 14 . (|< orbit 13)
r7 = p 15 . (|< orbit 14)
r8 = p 16 . (|< orbit 15)

In jack-matchmaker config something like this:

# Reaper
SuperCollider:out_25
    REAPER:in3

SuperCollider:out_26
    REAPER:in4

SuperCollider:out_27
    REAPER:in5

Also configure orbits/channels in SC startup.cd Audio Outputs | Tidal Cycles

Then all u need to do is replace d1 with r1, d2 -> r2 etc...

1 Like

For SuperDirt I use the multi-channel approach as @qaciwq links to above, for my SC startup. I target the Blackhole audio device on MacOS and then my DAW can listen to the Blackhole inputs from a MacOS Aggregate Device. So basically I do DAW multitracking on d1, d2, d3, etc.

2 Likes

There's another thread somewhere about what these startup.scd configs should be to get mono outputs per orbit, stereo per orbit with multiple outs, etc.

These supercollider outputs have to be configured during startup to get individual mono/stereo outputs per d1... outputs.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I think I figured it out. This video was especially helpful.

1 Like

I would like to add for everyone else specially on Windows there's also the option to set many Recorders on SuperCollider, generating many stem-like files:

2 Likes

amazing! is the very first time I an recor with orbits without jumble, it happened to me that the channels are always confused and strange behaviors were mixed, thank you very much!

In Windows and maybe and Linux (I haven't tried yet). I've found out an easy way to record in Ableton Live with Jack. I think that will probably work for Linux too.
It also works if you want to use a soundcard.

1. If you have a soundcard go to setup and change to your soundcard. If not, probably the default config will work.
    interface

2. Verify the server is running without any errors.
    servercreation

3. You will need to modify the config file of Jack to allow the server to create several channels, the default is 4. Follow this link to the Jack docs if you want to know how to do this.(The docs page is for windows users).

4. Open SuperCollider, open your startup file and then modify the device out to select explicitly JackRouter. If you want to send a multichannel track please follow this link to setup as you please. This is my personal setup:

5. The default connection will try to output SuperCollider to the system but you need to connect SuperCollider to Ableton. Open the Graph and disconnect scsynth of the system connection that in this case is your soundcard or the output of your computer. Scsynth will be routed to Ableton and then Ableton will be routed to the soundcard.

6. Open Ableton live. Go to preferences and then modify the audio device to Jack Router. If it doesn't appear verify you selected the driver type to ASIO. It should appear another entry in the Graph. Connect Ableton and scsynth as you please. Here is my setup:

Finally. Start tidal, and look if you can hear through Ableton. Test every channel and then you’re ready to record the audio from Tidal in a GUI multitrack environment.