How's the Tidal install process?

It'd be great to have a picture of how the Tidal install process is these days! Please answer this quick poll. If you like, feel free to give extra detail of your experience by hitting reply. Thanks!

For those who have tried installing Tidal in the last month or two, how did it go? Please answer the below poll for your operating system(s).

Mac users

• It went great, was easy
  • It was OK, but quite difficult
  • I managed it, but hit major problems
  • I completely failed to install it
  • Something else (please comment)

0 voters

Linux users

0 voters

Windows users

0 voters

1 Like

I found it easier to clone TidalCycles and run it as (hackable!) source than to install it.

Also, installing sc3-plugins for Supercollider used to be hard, on NixOS but now there's a single package that has both, supercollider-with-sc3-plugins.

I also managed to install it on NixOS using that package and installing latest Tidal using cabal install tidal --lib. When I tried using the Tidal Nix package I couldn't make both Atom and Doom Emacs pick on it.

On Arch Linux I've encountered no problem at all.

Hi
I updated to the Ventura macOS. I've been tring to install 2 times without good results. :confused:
Here is the Pulsar terminal result. I hope to get help from it.

Choose ghc base path

no custom path configured
*** use ghcup default path**

Ghci command: /Users/fite/.ghcup/bin/ghci Ghc-pkg command: /Users/fite/.ghcup/bin/ghc-pkg

Choose BootTidal.hs path

not found in current directory
*** found in the tidal installation folder**

• load BootTidal.hs from /Users/fite/.cabal/share/x86_64-osx-ghc-8.10.7/tidal-1.9.4/BootTidal.hs

t> Loaded package environment from /Users/fite/.ghc/x86_64-darwin-8.10.7/environments/default

t>

t> [TidalCycles version 1.8.0] Installed in /Users/fite/.cabal/store/ghc-8.10.7/tdl-1.8.0-a720d5d1/share Listening for external controls on 127.0.0.1:6010

t> /Users/fite/.cabal/share/x86_64-osx-ghc-8.10.7/tidal-1.9.4/BootTidal.hs:30:16: error: • Variable not in scope: streamSetCycle :: Stream -> t • Perhaps you meant ‘streamResetCycles’ (imported from Sound.Tidal.Context) | 30 | setCycle = streamSetCycle tidal | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ • Variable not in scope: d1 :: ControlPattern -> t • Perhaps you meant ‘dt’ (imported from Sound.Tidal.Context)

t>

t> Waiting for SuperDirt (v.1.7.2 or higher)..

t> Connected to SuperDirt.

t>

t> • Variable not in scope: d1 :: ControlPattern -> t • Perhaps you meant ‘dt’ (imported from Sound.Tidal.Context)

Reboot TidalCycles plugin

Choose BootTidal.hs path

not found in current directory
*** found in the tidal installation folder**

• load BootTidal.hs from /Users/fite/.cabal/share/x86_64-osx-ghc-8.10.7/tidal-1.9.4/BootTidal.hs

t> ghc: signal: 15 Leaving GHCi.

t> Loaded package environment from /Users/fite/.ghc/x86_64-darwin-8.10.7/environments/default

t>

t> [TidalCycles version 1.8.0] Installed in /Users/fite/.cabal/store/ghc-8.10.7/tdl-1.8.0-a720d5d1/share Listening for external controls on 127.0.0.1:6010 Connected to SuperDirt.

t> /Users/fite/.cabal/share/x86_64-osx-ghc-8.10.7/tidal-1.9.4/BootTidal.hs:30:16: error: • Variable not in scope: streamSetCycle :: Stream -> t • Perhaps you meant ‘streamResetCycles’ (imported from Sound.Tidal.Context) | 30 | setCycle = streamSetCycle tidal | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Git

• GitHub

Create Repository

Initialize /Users/fite/Documents with a Git repository

Create repository

um.tidal1:12

LFUTF-8TidalCycles

GitHubGit (0)

You have an older version of ghc - 8.10.7. On a Mac it is better to be on 9.2.5 or 9.6.1. You can use ghcup to install ghc 9.2.5 or 9.6.1. And you should probably have cabal 3.10.1.0.

Then you need to delete your current Tidal install and reinstall it. To do this:

• Delete these folders
/Users/<yourUser>/.ghc/
/Users/<yourUser>/.cabal/
  • Then run the Tidal install commands:
cabal update
cabal v1-install tidal

If you still get the same error you can try editing your BootTidal.hs file and commenting out the line with "streamResetCycles". This is only a temporary hack that helps you see if that is the only error.

2 Likes

I might just make a note for non-discord users -

There has been a significant amount of work (and ongoing) to improve the Windows install situation. @HighHarmonics and il_mix (discord) in particular have been at the core of this monumental task, and have significantly improved the documentation, troubleshooting and auto install (chocolatey) processes over the last few months.

Link: Windows | Tidal Cycles

It would be valuable to hear if some of the windows voters who completely failed to install previously would retry with this new info/applications onboard and let us know how they go?

1 Like

Perfect!
It's working now.
Thank you so much HighHarmonics :wink: