"Learning Tidal" course week zero - installation and exploration

Hi @annie.jamieson,

I think that’s probably normal as far as atom behaviour - you edit the code in your .tidal file, and when you run something you see output (including error messages, if you make one) in the frame below.

Not getting sound is a problem though, of course! That’ll be a problem on the SuperCollider side. Have you started SuperCollider, and run SuperDirt.start in that? Does the SuperCollider ‘post window’ say something about Listening to Tidal on port 57120?

Hey @yaxu
I’ve installed everything and got as far as hitting shift and return, but there was no sound, then I saw this message in Atom:

: error:
Could not find module ‘Sound.Tidal.Context’
It is not a module in the current program, or in any known package.

Hi @Dentona!

That means atom (and its tidalcycles plugin) and haskell are installed fine, but for some reason the tidal library isn’t.

Try running this from a terminal window:

. .ghcup/env
cabal update
cabal install tidal --lib

Hi everybody. I haven't done any of this computer stuff for so long that for now I am stuck in the 'exploration' phase - reading other people's posts!
I did download Supercollider 3.11.0, moved it into the applications folder and it opens fine. But does that mean it's installed? :sweat_smile: ... I am on MacOS 10.12.6. People are reporting problems.
I have looked at all the install instructions - but haven't worked in bash for so long that at the moment I don't dare 'to go there' before I have got my basic understanding back.

Thanks - I get this in the terminal window:

yld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _utimensat
Referenced from: /Users/whooze/.ghcup/bin/cabal (which was built for Mac OS X 10.13)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: _utimensat
Referenced from: /Users/whooze/.ghcup/bin/cabal (which was built for Mac OS X 10.13)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Abort trap: 6

Ah @eduardoperezinfante has the same problem. It seems the latest supercollider and haskell don’t work with older versions of macos.

You can delete haskell by removing .ghcup, .ghc and .cabal from your home folder. Then install an older version from here: https://www.haskell.org/platform/prior.html

Probably 8.6.3 would be fine.

Then hopefully cabal update; cabal install tidal will work (you don’t have --lib at the end for older versions of haskell).

1 Like

I’m looking where this /Users/whooze/.ghcup/bin/cabal suggests in the Home folder

but I’m not seeing these .ghcup , .ghc and .cabal anywhere

.ghcup , .ghc and .cabal

They’re hidden folders, I’m not sure how to find them in MacOS, but this command in a terminal window will delete them.

Just be careful to copy and paste accurately, as it’s a dangerous command, if a space gets in the wrong place it could cause some damage!

rm -rf ~/.ghcup ~/.ghc ~/.cabal
2 Likes

Hi everyone!

This is my first strike trying out the bootstrap installation method and I get this message once the GHC is “installing”

Installing GHC-8.8.3 for Darwin on architecture x86_64
checking build system type… x86_64-apple-darwin19.4.0
checking host system type… x86_64-apple-darwin19.4.0
checking target system type… x86_64-apple-darwin19.4.0
Build platform inferred as: x86_64-apple-darwin
Host platform inferred as: x86_64-apple-darwin
Target platform inferred as: x86_64-apple-darwin
GHC build : x86_64-apple-darwin
GHC host : x86_64-apple-darwin
GHC target : x86_64-apple-darwin
LLVM target: x86_64-apple-darwin
checking for path to top of build tree… /var/folders/qt/11tb527n2r10y3jl73dnz9b40000gn/T/ghcup.XXXXXXX.3pI6WXEg/ghc-8.8.3
checking for perl… /usr/bin/perl
checking for a BSD-compatible install… /usr/bin/install -c
checking for gfind… no
checking for find… /usr/bin/find
checking whether ln -s works… yes
checking for gsed… sed
checking XCode version… xcode-select: error: tool ‘xcodebuild’ requires Xcode, but active developer directory ‘/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools’ is a command line tools instance
not found (too old?)
checking for gcc… gcc
checking whether the C compiler works… no
configure: error: in /var/folders/qt/11tb527n2r10y3jl73dnz9b40000gn/T/ghcup.XXXXXXX.3pI6WXEg/ghc-8.8.3': configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables See config.log’ for more details
Failed to install, consider updating this script via: ghcup upgrade
“ghcup --cache install” failed!
grep: /Users/Gabriel/.bashrc: No such file or directory
sh: line 37: [: -ne: unary operator expected
[3] Congratulations, you have all the pre-reqs…
Installing tidalcycles haskell library (via cabal)…

cabal: unrecognised command: v2-update (try --help)
cabal: unrecognised command: v2-install (try --help)
[4] Atom already installed, skipping…
[6] Installing atom TidalCycles plugin…
Installing tidalcycles to /Users/Gabriel/.atom/packages ✓
[7] SuperCollider already installed, skipping…
[8] Installing SuperCollider Plugins…
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 644 100 644 0 0 1290 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 1290
100 6287k 100 6287k 0 0 3316k 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:–:-- 6312k
replace /Users/Gabriel/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/AYUGens/AYUGens.html? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: error: invalid response [{ENTER}]
replace /Users/Gabriel/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/AYUGens/AYUGens.html? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: error: invalid response [#### INST]
replace /Users/Gabriel/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/AYUGens/AYUGens.html? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: warning: cannot set modif./access times for /Users/Gabriel/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/LadspaUGen/ladspalist
No such file or directory
MacBook-Pro-de-Gabriel-2:~ Gabriel$

Something similar appears to someone?

THANKS!

Same issue here!!! And I’m getting the exact same message as @Dentona

Hi @gablezman… Some confusing stuff there, have you attempted a tidal install before?
What happens if you run this:

cabal install tidal

Thanks for your reply @yaxu… Already done, now appears this message :

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.

For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

MacBook-Pro-de-Gabriel-2:~ Gabriel$ cabal install tidal

Warning: cannot determine version of /usr/bin/gcc :

“”

xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun

gcc' failed in phase C Compiler’. (Exit code: 1)

//
But… I ran the line once again and this message appears:

Gabriel@MacBook-Pro-de-Gabriel-2 ~ % cabal install tidal

Warning: cannot determine version of /usr/bin/gcc :

“”

xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun

gcc' failed in phase C Compiler’. (Exit code: 1)

Gabriel@MacBook-Pro-de-Gabriel-2 ~ %

I’m having a strange issue with ghc-pkg list tidal returning:

/Users/admin/.ghcup/ghc/8.6.5/lib/ghc-8.6.5/package.conf.d (no packages)

but my Tidal install seems to be working fine in Atom / Supercollider (macOS 10.13.6).

I am trying to update Tidalcycles, so I ran:

cabal install tidal --lib
after removing the /environments/default file (as you stated elsewhere)

and it successfully installed + showed:

Installing tidal-1.4.8 (lib) Completed tidal-1.4.8 (lib)

but ghc-pkg list tidal says no packages ? Not sure how else to check which version I am running?

Hm, does running this help:
xcode-select --install

That installs the ‘xcode commandline tools’, including a C compiler, although the install script should have done this for you.

Yes this is a known issue… The ‘cabal install’ process has been in a state of flux for a while, moving to a new way of doing things. I think ghc-pkg still only shows packages installed with the old method.

Does this do any better?

cabal list --installed tidal

Hi @yaxu
Yes, I’m seeing that in SuperCollider.

And I now have sound in Atom!

1 Like

Hm, so either superdirt isn’t receiving messages from tidal for some reason, or there’s some problem with the sound.

If you click in the numbers in the bottom righthand corner of supercollider, a useful menu should pop up, including “show scope” - select that. When you run a pattern in tidal (e.g. d1 $ sound "bd sd"), does the scope move?

Oh, that’s great news!

It seems that everything is ready, now the terminal throw this message

replace /Users/Gabriel/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/AYUGens/AYUGens.html? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: error: invalid response [{ENTER}]
replace /Users/Gabriel/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/AYUGens/AYUGens.html? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: error: invalid response [#### INST]
replace /Users/Gabriel/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/AYUGens/AYUGens.html? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: warning: cannot set modif./access times for /Users/Gabriel/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/SC3plugins/LadspaUGen/ladspalist
No such file or directory