"Learning Tidal" course week zero - installation and exploration

Hi, this is a bug in haskell, if you install a library twice it gets confused. Hopefully they fix it soon.
Just before this error you should see “Loaded package environment from …” and then the path to a file. Remove this file, then run this in a terminal window: cabal install tidal --lib

Then things should be fixed.

1 Like

Hey Alex

Thank you for putting on the course!

I am struggling to install Tidal, when i follow the instructions no /Library/Application\ Support/SuperCollider/startup.scd file is created. There is not even a SuperCollider directory in /Library/Application\ Support/

I am trying to install it using terminal, super collider is showing up as an installed application in my applications folder, which is weird.

What am I doing wrong? Should I just create an empty SuperCollider directory in /Library/Application\ Support/ and copy over the necessary info into a scd text file?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom, which instructions are you following? I don’t think this file is a step in the install process. Are you seeing any error messages?

Hi Alex

I am following
https://tidalcycles.org/index.php/Installation
and
https://tidalcycles.org/index.php/Start_tidalcycles_and_superdirt_for_the_first_time
am I way off the mark in following the instructions?

Tom

I have worked out where I went wrong. I am not using the most up to date macOS and so do not need to follow those instructions.
now I am getting a
t>Failed to send. Is the ‘SuperDirt’ target running? Network.Socket.sendBuf: does not exist (Connection refused)

message in atom

Hi Tom, it looks like everything is running great in Atom there. You just need to start supercollider, and superdirt within that.

1 Like

Hey Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I have removed the file. But when I run the command

I get -bash: cabal: command not found. Is there something wrong with the installation?

Thanks!

Hm, try ~/.ghcup/bin/cabal install tidal --lib

I tried this and it shows up this error

Warning: Parsing the index cache failed (01-index.cache: unexpected magic
marker encountered: 891426084510914466). Trying to regenerate the index
cache...
cabal: The program 'ghc' version >=7.0.1 is required but it could not be
found.

I have added cabal via a symlink to the path though.

Ok try

. ~/.ghcup/env
cabal install tidal --lib
1 Like

Yay! Thanks a lot. It worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Alex,
I'm a bit lost here trying to install the stuff.
Atom is working, but Collider won't open. I get this error:

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _kSecKeyAlgorithmECDSASignatureDigestX962SHA1
Referenced from: /Applications/SuperCollider.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/QtWebEngineCore.framework/Versions/5/QtWebEngineCore (which was built for Mac OS X 10.12)
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Security
in /Applications/SuperCollider.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/QtWebEngineCore.framework/Versions/5/QtWebEngineCore

I'm also having a similar problem as indiantinker installing Haskell, but I can't see

I'm running a OS X 10.11, idk if that may be problem as it says it's built for Mac OS X 10.13. This is what I get.

dyld: Symbol not found: _utimensat
Referenced from: /Users/GuayoPerez/.ghcup/bin/cabal (which was built for Mac OS X 10.13)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Hi @eduardoperezinfante ,
Yes there seems to be an incompatibility between recent versions of supercollider and older mac os installs.
You can find older supercollider downloads here: https://supercollider.github.io/download
I’m not sure which is the newest one that will work. I should think that version 3.9.3 is fine, though.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Alex,
I was able to install older versions of SuperCollider and Haskell.
I still can’t make Tidal work, and this is what I get.

Last login: Thu Apr 9 23:43:31 on ttys003

Eduardos-MacBook-Pro:~ GuayoPerez$ . "$HOME/.ghcup/env"

Eduardos-MacBook-Pro:~ GuayoPerez$ echo '. $HOME/.ghcup/env' >> "$HOME/.bashrc"

Eduardos-MacBook-Pro:~ GuayoPerez$ cabal update

Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _utimensat

Referenced from: /Users/GuayoPerez/.ghcup/bin/cabal (which was built for Mac OS X 10.13)

Trace/BPT trap: 5

Eduardos-MacBook-Pro:~ GuayoPerez$ cabal install tidal --lib

Resolving dependencies...

Build profile: -w ghc-8.8.3 -O1

In order, the following will be built (use -v for more details):

- blaze-builder-0.4.1.0 (lib) (requires download & build)

- base-orphans-0.8.2 (lib) (requires build)

- cabal-doctest-1.0.8 (lib) (requires download & build)

- clock-0.8 (lib) (requires download & build)

- colour-2.3.5 (lib) (requires download & build)

- data-binary-ieee754-0.4.4 (lib:data-binary-ieee754) (requires download & build)

- data-default-class-0.1.2.0 (lib:data-default-class) (requires download & build)

- hsc2hs-0.68.7 (exe:hsc2hs) (requires download & build)

- primitive-0.7.0.1 (lib) (requires download & build)

- random-1.1 (lib) (requires download & build)

- tagged-0.8.6 (lib) (requires download & build)

- th-abstraction-0.3.2.0 (lib) (requires download & build)

- transformers-compat-0.6.5 (lib) (requires download & build)

- network-3.1.1.1 (lib:network) (requires download & build)

- vector-0.12.1.2 (lib) (requires download & build)

- distributive-0.6.1 (lib:distributive) (requires download & build)

- hosc-0.17 (lib) (requires download & build)

- vector-th-unbox-0.2.1.7 (lib) (requires download & build)

- comonad-5.0.6 (lib:comonad) (requires download & build)

- math-functions-0.3.3.0 (lib) (requires download & build)

- bifunctors-5.5.7 (lib) (requires download & build)

- mwc-random-0.14.0.0 (lib) (requires download & build)

- tidal-1.4.8 (lib) (requires download & build)

Downloading clock-0.8

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _utimensat

Trace/BPT trap: 5

Eduardos-MacBook-Pro:~ GuayoPerez$

Sorry for sending the whole thing, I’m quite illiterate and can’t really tell where’s the issue

Thanks for sending the whole thing, it’s useful to see the whole error. I’ve just edited your post so that it’s marked as ‘preformatted text’.

You say you installed an older version of haskell - how did you do that? If you haven’t already, I’d recommend installing an older version from here: https://www.haskell.org/platform/prior.html

Then delete the .ghcup folder, as that will be the newest version.

Basically my hunch is that your version of macos doesn’t support the latest Haskell, but I think until you remove .ghcup, you’ll still be running that.

Hi there,
I’ve installed successfully (I thought) - in Windows 10 - but, when I open Atom and follow the instructions, I’m unable to type anything into the terminal. I see::

No configured ghc path

Ghci command: ghci Ghc-pkg command: ghc-pkg

Load BootTidal.hs from C:\Users\Ram\AppData\Roaming\cabal\x86_64-windows-ghc-8.10.1\tidal-1.4.3\BootTidal.hs

t>

t>

t>Listening for controls on 127.0.0.1:6010

t>

But I just get a blue block instead of a cursor and it doesn’t respond to anything other than the arrow keys.

If I try to run the test line in my file - using Ctrl-enter - I get no sound but another t> appears in the terminal.

Cheers

Annie

Hi @annie.jamieson,

I think that’s probably normal as far as atom behaviour - you edit the code in your .tidal file, and when you run something you see output (including error messages, if you make one) in the frame below.

Not getting sound is a problem though, of course! That’ll be a problem on the SuperCollider side. Have you started SuperCollider, and run SuperDirt.start in that? Does the SuperCollider ‘post window’ say something about Listening to Tidal on port 57120?

Hey @yaxu
I’ve installed everything and got as far as hitting shift and return, but there was no sound, then I saw this message in Atom:

: error:
Could not find module ‘Sound.Tidal.Context’
It is not a module in the current program, or in any known package.

Hi @Dentona!

That means atom (and its tidalcycles plugin) and haskell are installed fine, but for some reason the tidal library isn’t.

Try running this from a terminal window:

. .ghcup/env
cabal update
cabal install tidal --lib