Modulating a sound with long sustain

I already know how to modulate parameters for patterns with multiple events, using waveforms and random values. For example:

d1 $ s "kick*16" # speed (range 0.5 1.5 $ slow 2 sine)

What I'm trying to understand is if it's possible to modulate values for a single sound/event sustained in time. In a daw I would use an envelope on an effect and modulate it over time. I don't know if it's possible to achieve that in tidal, given its architecture. When a message is sent to SuperDirt and a sound created in Supercollider, is it possible to change the parameters of that sound while it is still playing?

I tried the following approaches but none gives me a smooth transition between values within a single sound/event:

d1 $ n "c" # sound "superhammond" # tremdp 1 # tremr (range 0 15 sine)

d1 $ n "c" # sound "superhammond" # tremdp 1 # tremr (smooth "0 15 5 10")

d1 $ n "c" # sound "superhammond" # tremdp 1 # tremr "<0 15 5 10>"
1 Like

Hi @earthlydelight, the short answer is unless you're doing stuff with midi (e.g. sending CC values separately from notes), then no.

However this is being fixed for the next version of tidal, we have a nice proof of concept working so it shouldn't be too long.

5 Likes

That's a great news, can't wait to try it!

Thank you guys for all the hard work you're putting into this :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This seems huge! I'm really looking forward to checking it out :smiley:

1 Like