Reverbs and delays

Let's talk about everyone's favorite audio effects: reverbs and delays. What reverb are you using with Tidal? Are you loyal to #room and #size, have you coded your own reverb? What sort of delays are you using?

EDIT: for those looking for the source code of the default delay and reverb, look here.

2 Likes

I've coded my own (along with some tweaks to how global effects work), I think I've posted them elsewhere before but here's a link:

I use tape (kind of a fake tape delay) and hall a lot. They both can feedback and I'm just a sucker for that.

5 Likes

Awesome idea for a thread! I'm using verb from the mutable instruments ugens, I find it's a lot softer and more controllable than the default ... def interested in trying out @bgold 's at some point now though :face_with_monocle:

Actually I think clouds has a reverb parameter as well, but I haven't used it much (yet)

2 Likes

I had to try all the reverbs you suggested. I especially like the verb from the Mutable UGens. It was a bit tricky to install and understand how it is supposed to work but it's already the beginning of a new era for my ears. I was accustomed to routing all the orbits to a DAW in order to use proprietary reverbs (Valhalla mostly).

Now that SuperDirt is able to lazy load samples, I was also thinking of preparing sample packs of the same sample going through different amounts of reverb, but I don't think that there is an easy way to mass produce them and it might be a bit heavy to use on low-end computers (long tails, etc...).

I recently bought the FX Aid XL module from Happy Nerding and it feels like the perfect FX module for live-coding purposes, except that it is hardware... Only three knobs, sometimes assigned to multiple parameters by default as it seems. Very minimal and performance oriented. I can only dream of reproducing the same thing by carefully tweaking SuperDirt.

Actually I think clouds has a reverb parameter as well, but I haven't used it much (yet)

At least three Mutable models have an integrated reverb (Elements, Clouds and that mysterious Verb). The one used by Clouds is really CPU expensive so it might be overkill only for reverb but I suppose that you can also do some sort of Delay-Reverb-Granulation with it.

1 Like

There are some ideas in this scsynth.org topic:
Share your delay/reverb designs! - Code Review - scsynth

Btw, I'm really happy with the mutable instruments verb (i think it's the same implemented in elements, but not sure about that)

2 Likes