Sidechaining in tidalcycles

hey ive always wanted to sidechain my other channels to a kick. Is there a livecode solution to this i cannae figure it out :<<

lots of love,
Kim

this is something i've tried many times for more than a year already. i'm still trying to find the best solution. here are some links from all different attempts:

I could try to finish my last attempt which seemed to be getting somewhere

1 Like

While of course I would love sidechaining in tidal, I simulate a side chain by ducking the track with a gain pattern similar to the kick.

For example, if your kick is 4 on the floor d1 $ n "{0 ~~~}%16" # s "drums" and you want to side chain track d2 $ s "hats * 16" just lower the volume on the hit: d2 $ s "hat*16" # amp "{0.2 0.5 0.5 0.5}%16".

I've also been banging my head figuring an elegant way to duck a track using another pattern.

while of course I would love sidechaining in tidal, I simulate a side chain by ducking the track with a gain pattern similar to the kick.

This is a great trick, which unfortunately requires patterns to have pauses and a matching number of steps. I'm using this at the moment, but would really love a more flexible way without these limitations -- though I guess it'd only be effectively doable by detecting the source track's amplitude, which goes way beyond what can be done in Tidal (i think)

In any case, StageMaster seems to be a good addition to compress and EQ outputs, I wonder if anyone's used it + if it can be tuned to apply different parameters to each orbit?

2 Likes

Does this approach not work?

I did try StageMaster at a recent gig, and to my ears, it made everything sound better.

2 Likes

how about implementing it as a mixing option ? as practice has shown, this is very practical and quite imperceptible. Here is a link for an example of a ready-made plugin.

https://github.com/ryukau/VSTPlugins/releases/download/UhhyouPlugins0.55.0/RingModSpacer_0.1.2_macOS.zip

https://github.com/ryukau/VSTPlugins/releases/download/UhhyouPlugins0.55.0/RingModSpacer_0.1.2.zip

Снимок экрана 2023-05-12 в 12.12.22
don't forget to do side mix in zero.

thnx!

2 signal examples with and without this method

Use ampbus instead, then it will apply to any length audio sample - check out the control busses doco

1 Like

i had completely forgotten about busses, this seems just right. I'll get to work <3

1 Like