[Solved] No sound out of Dirt (classic)

I'm trying to use Dirt instead of SuperDirt to see if it helps with the problem I described on Getting Tidal to run on a low-spec 32 bits system. @mmmoth suggested I should use Dirt so here I am.

I've already set my Tidal boot to use the Dirt target. I boot JackD from the command line and it works fine. I boot dirt and it seems to work fine! It even shows the received notes from Tidal. But no sound is produced. I already tried disabling the compressor and changing the default gain. Jackd even shows a couple of XRuns at boot (which I know is normal), so I know Dirt's connected to Jack. I've also checked alsamixer. Nothing is muted. I even opened SuperCollider using the exact same Jackd process and played some test tones perfectly.

What should I do? Any classic Dirt users who know what this might be?

I'm on a antiX Debian 11 system, 32bit. More info about the system on the post I refered to earlier.

annoyingly tagging some classic Dirt users cuz maybe you have some idea what this might be:
@munshkr @dktr0 @loopology @bgold @kindohm @robjac
(feel free to ignore if u don't know)

Hrm, nothing obvious comes to mind. Will keep pondering this.

So I tried Dirt (after so long) with Tidal 1.7.10 and it works, somehow.

I modified my boot script like this:

startTidal target config = startStream config [(target, [dirtShape])]
tidal <- startTidal (dirtTarget) (defaultConfig {cVerbose = True, cFrameTimespan = 1/20})

Basically I had redefine startTidal to use dirtShape instead of superdirtShape, and redefine tidal, just before defining p etc.

I had some warnings from dirt though:

play server unexpectedly received extra parameters, maybe update Dirt?
nope.
failed.
nope.
failed.
nope.
failed.
nope.
failed.
1 Like

I imagine this must be it. I changed the target but I didn't know about dirtShape. I'll try it in a couple hours. And tell you how it went! Graciasss

1 Like

working !

it seems that note doesn't work with Dirt? is this expected behavior?

Yes note is missing, it wouldn't be too hard to add it, though. dirt runs well on low powered computers, including the pi zero.

1 Like

cool! I'll see if I take this as an excuse to learn some actual C.

1 Like