Sound latency and distortion

It has repeatedly occured to me that on certain occasions when I attempt to apply a series of functions on a sequence in a slightly more complex manner (this time d1 $ sometimes (jux rev) $ stut' 4 0.5 ((|*| gain 0.8) . (juxBy 0 (|*| speed 0.3))) $ every 3 (rev) $ n "[3 1] 2 1" # s "jazz" # vowel "e") the sound suddenly starts crackling and Supercollider receives "late 1.42.... etc." massage. It really doesn't come as a delight especially when I'm eight minutes in recording a music and it ruins it all.

Is there any way to fix this or any idea what could be causing it?

Thank you so much for any help!

https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration
some of these may help on a linux system

1 Like

Interesting pattern! It runs on my system OK but at high CPU usage. When I stop the pattern it takes a while to return to normal - that's a clue...

The problem with this one is the * speed 0.3. You're layering four copies of that over time with stut, so you end up with a speed of 0.3 * 0.3 * 0.3 * 0.3 = 0.0081. If you play a sound at that rate it will take 123 times the time to complete, so if it normally lasts half a second, it will take a minute to complete. With the 'jux'es doubling things up you're triggering maybe 10 events per second, so over time I think that could easily add up to thousands of sounds being played at once.

So the answer is to be a bit careful with compounding speed factors.

2 Likes

Yeah, the problem appeares whenever I get a bit extra with the speed.

Thank you, I'll try to be a bit mindful of that!