Tidal 1.7 is released!

v1.7.2 is out!

• tidal-parse additions and improved errors, haskellish dependency fix @dktr0
  • spring cleaning and delinting, recreated Time.hs, renamed ControlMap toValueMAp @yaxu
  • start of major refactoring of chords @cleary
  • fix . mininotation operator @zudov
  • stateful event parameters, for counting @yaxu
  • Move some stuff from BootTidal.hs to the tidal library, to reduce dependencies there @yaxu
8 Likes

Hey @yaxu. Thanks for the update!
Is it possible for you to talk a bit about this?

• stateful event parameters, for counting

Cheers

1 Like

@ben he (literally) just covered it in the tidal meet up #1 session. There will be a #2 session in a few hours if you're able to catch it?

1 Like

I've now posted about it here:

1 Like

super helpful. love the part where you can paste the tidal startup code in the SC startup file and it loads automatically on opening. brilliant!

1 Like

@yaxu is it possible (or should it?) to use continuous patterns with control busses?
It looks like that something like this does not work:

d1 $ slow 4 $ s "bev" # lpfbus 1 (slow 16 $ sine * 7000) # legato 1

Am I missing something?

2 Likes

I am surprised that doesn't work, @mrreason.. Will have a think. Feel free to make an issue on github

1 Like

I found that using:
#lpfbus 1 (segment 128 $ slow 16 $ sine*700)
is the best way of doing this for me.

4 Likes

@yaxu I created a ticket here: Using continuous patterns with control busses needs segment to work properly · Issue #806 · tidalcycles/Tidal · GitHub

@BXHD thanks for the hint! This feels like a workaround but I can work with it for now.

3 Likes

To upgrade to Tidal v1.7.2 is cabal upgrade Tidal the correct command or cabal v1 upgrade? Thnx!

cabal update
+
cabal install tidal --lib

Hi mate and Thanks for your reply!
cabal update + cabal install Tidal - - lib actually messed up everything!
Possibly due to the installation I did of v1.7.1 via cabal v1-update + cabal install Tidal.
I have deleted both .ghc and .cabal folders and reinstalled using cabal v1-update + cabal v1-install Tidal. Now v1.7.2 is working fine. I am on Catalina by the way...

hey hey

I get this error while running the command cabal v1-install tidal from the terminal

Warning: cannot determine version of /usr/bin/gcc :
""
xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun
gcc' failed in phase C Compiler'. (Exit code: 1)

Hi @fran,
It looks like you need to install the 'xcode commandline tools' for compiling software. This command should hopefully fix it:

xcode-select --install
1 Like

v1.7.3 is up! Mainly bug/performance fixes

• Signed ratio shorthands now supported @ndr_brt
  • OSC API - mute/unmute stream @archaic.tech
  • improve performance of playFor/seqP @yaxu
  • Expand tests with autodiscovered laws @RSWilli
  • Add getState to BootTidal @archaic.tech
  • add fadeTime / fadeInTime / fadeOutTime params for grain envelopes @yaxu
  • Fix for nrpnn and nrpnv params @yaxu
  • Disable busses for MIDI parameters @archaic.tech
7 Likes

Hi dear friends, I have some doubts about the way OSC was running, we have the pattern viewer that Ivan presented in the tidal meetup session, but it is not working with the new version, does anyone know about the changes in this topic? to update the viewer to the current version.
hugs

No expert here, but the structure for custom OSC messages has changed recently I believe! There may just be some small tweaks needed to your BootTidal.hs files. This really helped when I was linking stuff to Processing recently: https://tidalcycles.org/docs/configuration/MIDIOSC/osc

it would be totally amazing to be able to pattern speed on a separate bus