Tidal + eurorack setup question

Hi there!

I am considering setting up a very basic Tidal / eurorack configuration, and I am curious as to what the best basic setup would be in terms of outputting CV from Tidal.

I know that I need a sound card with coupled DC outputs to be able to control CV from Tidal, but I'm just also wondering what to look for in terms of number of outputs on a sound card, etc...

So, for example, if I wanted my sound card to output stereo audio as normal, and then also a couple of CV outputs, what kinds of terminologies am I looking for to get a sound card that can handle this? I've noticed some sound card say that some outputs are "mirrored", does this mean that those outputs are not separate, and I would only be able to output CV OR audio?

As you can probably tell, I am quite far from knowledgeable on this topic, but have found it quite hard to find the specific info I need, and am a bit nervous about dropping a few hundred on a sound card and finding out it doesn't do what I want it for...

Thanks in advance!

I am using Tidal with my Eurorack. Actually, I started thinking about integrating a Rasberry Pi with Tidal as a sequencer / sampler in the rack itself. I don't know what the best solution for you would be but here are some thoughts.

• Consider the Expert Sleepers ES-9. Super expensive but also super convenient to get an integrated audio interface with a lot of DC coupled I/O. If you have a big rack with many modules, it will surely be useful. Slighty less for small modular systems. You would be able to deal with both CV and sound I/O directly from your rack.
  • I am using the Hermod from Squarp Instruments: MIDI-In, converting MIDI notes to CVs for V/Oct or modulation, depends on what I'm trying to achieve. It doesn't process sound at all, it is just turning MIDI into CV. The output chain would just be: Rack -> Audio Interface -> DAW or anything.
1 Like

Hey Raph,

thanks for your response. I do like the look of the ES-9... I guess my issue is that I am aiming for a micro-eurorack setup. Like... far smaller than almost anyone would recommend. I basically wanted an external oscillator which I could control with Tidal, and aim to keep my whole eurorack down to 20hp, using a 4ms Pod... for now, anyway... I'm sure I'll get addicted to it and go crazy at some point.

So, really I was hoping to use a sound card that could output my tidal stereo output, but also simultaneously send cv to my oscillator... I just want to find the simplest and most compact way to do that, to keep things minimal...

Indeed, that's really minimal! I'm sure it can be done, but you have to plan very very carefully.

If you are just looking for DC coupled interfaces (and external with that), just buy one from a list of known-to-work audio cards and everything will be allright. Try to buy any audio card that with at least 2–4 input and outputs. If you want to control the whole rack, I would even consider buying something with even more outputs (8-16) but you will end up on the expensive side, and just for a minor feature. You will be "future proof" as well, in case you need/want to expend your rack later.

I usually plan for something bigger than my actual wallet (big case, no money). That way, I know that I will be able to buy more stuff without having to sell anything in the future. IMO, 20hp for an hybrid setup feels risky, but maybe you just found the oscillator of your dreams!

1 Like

Hi! I have a 4ms pod with a couple of modules and I use a cvocd.
It's small, easy and works great with tidal.

2 Likes

Oh, that looks awesome... Now I have to see how easy to get one delivered to China...

Also, I'd be really interested to see some code that you use in conjunction with it... I'm quite new to using Tidal in this way...

I'm using an integrated modular and computer rig. I have a RME Fireface UCX as my main audio interface. I then have an Expert Sleepers ES-8 in my Eurorack that's linked to the UCX via the ADAT/lightpipe connection to add extra IO. I've also done some shows with the ES-8 directly via USB (without the UCX).

I then use the Silentway software to generate clock, gates & envs for the Eurorack. In the studio, I route the modular audio outputs into Ableton Live to multitrack performances.

Here's a list of interfaces tested with this kinda setup.

The Silentway manual states that all plugins respond to OSC so that could be your receiving interface for Tidal. I'm not actually doing that, I just run it alongside in the DAW if needed (via Loopback) but I have generated OSC via the plugins to send to the Eurorack alongside visual software like VDMX.

On a more general note, if low hp is your target you could do a lot worse than take up space with an ES-8/9. If you're happy running alongside a laptop (I'll assume so, since you're posting here) then the computer can save a load of rack space generating gates, LFO's and functions/envs so the rack can focus on sound generators.

:v:

1 Like