Tidal multiline error

What does this relate to?

t> user error (unterminated multiline command :{ .. :}) 

I'm evaluating lines that used to work, but suddenly seems to jam tidal for some reason, ending communication with superdirt.
I'm on version 1.9.4 in Pulsar on Mac Sonoma.

Have you modified BootTidal or any other script files? That error could easily show up if adding/modifying/removing script file content and failing to keep the multiline command characters balanced.

No, I'm pretty sure I didn't touch it. Just played a gig where everything functioned well :thinking:

Okay, I managed to find a differentiating example (though I had eperienced it with some other effects as well):

d1 $ s "bd*8"  
   # cps 0.7 # gain 0.9 # room (range 0.2 0.7 (sine))
   # delayfb 0.2
    # delay (slow 12 $ range 0.1 5 rand)

-> t>
but

d1 $ s "bd*8" 
   # cps 0.7 # gain 0.9 # room (range 0.2 0.7 (sine))
    # delay (slow 12 $ range 0.1 5 rand)
     # delayfb 0.2

-> t> user error (unterminated multiline command :{ .. :})

Did you manage to resolve this? Having the same issue on Sonoma

It turns out that the problem is 'non-breaking spaces' getting into patterns, probably as a result of accidentally holding down option while pressing space.

As far as I can tell, normally Haskell deals with these characters fine, but it seems a recent mac os update might have broken something.

A workaround is to configure your editor to highlight non-breaking spaces, and delete them..

2 Likes

Just in case anyone is also having this issue using VSCode, managed to work around it by adding the following code to the keybindings.json file

{
    "key": "alt+space",
    "command": "type",
    "when": "editorTextFocus",
    "args": {
        "text": " "
    }
}

This just replaces any non-breaking spaces with normal spaces when typing

2 Likes