Tidal on Raspberry Pi 4 with Ubuntu?

I am not really sure either, but it didn’t allow me to install the package from the link you sent me. I had to go to the downloads page and install this one

I forgot to say I did it on Raspberry Pi OS because I couldn’t get vnc working on ubuntu and didn’t have a screen with me. I think arm 64 does work with ubuntu, I will test it and let you know.

Ah, 32 bit ARM as opposed to 32 bit x86 - got it :wink:

... that's a bugger, it introduces a whole lot of conditions I'll have to test for and I'm not really sure I'm up for the challenge atm... one of the great things about 32 bit x86 is it's a dead duck these days :smiley:

I'll add it to the list of maybes though :slight_smile:

@cleary Yup, vscode worked on ubuntu with the arm64 version. Thanks for this tool, it’s really helpful :slight_smile:

Hey you're welcome, glad to see it's getting some use.

I've done an initial foray into managing custom stuff via the vars/all.yml file, so you can add a list of directories containing samples and that will be added to your supercollider startup, and any editor plugins that might use it (eg soundbrowsers in atom/vscode).

I've been thinking that it'd be nice to expand these customisations to include eg midi defs in sc, synthdefs (maybe by url, so you can just link to git content) etc.

I'd be curious to hear what would be useful to you -

I don't really know ansible, but I was wondering if it possible to translate the script in some way so that I can work on Windows.

MacOS has the easiest installation, with only one line to copy and paste on the terminal. With this ansible method, is now really easy for linux. But I think the automated version for windows still has some problems, right? I always use the manual installation and last weekend I did a free online workshop and one of the students had problems with the process on windows and I could only ask him to follow the class using the MiniTidal on Estuary, as I find it really hard to troubleshoot on an online environment.

Is it possible? Maybe on a long-term? Do you know if there is something similar, or if the "choco" version is working ok? I have another free workshop this weekend and I am pretty worried about how many people will tell me they had trouble installing on Windows.

The short answer is "probably" - I use ansible at work for desktop configuration (we run predominantly linux desktops), but my colleague has developed roles for our windows machines too, so we have a common SOE role which runs on both win and lin...

[edit] actually, it's a hard no - we're using a linux ansible controller to push the config to win clients:

Can Ansible run on Windows?
No, Ansible can only manage Windows hosts. Ansible cannot run on a Windows host natively
Windows Frequently Asked Questions — Ansible Documentation

I recall seeing @yaxu mention this recently, I think it's received some love in the last week - I've never used it myself though.
[edit] found it:

Would a live booted usb/iso be of use to you as a fallback for these workshops?

1 Like

This is really good to know, as ansible seems not to be an option for windows. I will send the link to anyone in trouble, thank you!

1 Like

Hey @renzo.rospigliosi, I know you mentioned you're using Ubuntu, so I don't know if this is much help, but I was able to get Tidalcycles going on Raspbian by following the install directions on the Tidalcycles page.

Except when I installed Supercollider, I used the sudo command, and I used Vscode (headmelted)

I'm booting off a SSD and it runs pretty smoothly.

Oh I wanna try that too! Thank you

Can you give me instructions on how to install tidal cycles on raSpberry pi

TidalCycles stopped working for me on Raspberry Pi Raspbian. I tried @cleary's method above and the installation was smooth.

But when I try to start SuperDirt on supercollider, it says:

Found 0 LADSPA plugins
could not initialize audio

Any idea for a fix? Been Googling.

Thanks!

Johnny

Have you got Jack installed/started?

I like to use qjackctl...

I have it installed, but when I run qjackctl in the terminal it says

bash: qjackctl: command not found

You'll need to install qjackctl too - it's a separate package,a gui frontend to JACK

Thanks @cleary! I have it installed, but when I click start I get an error. It says "Could not connect to JACK server as client"

Any ideas? I tried Googling it, but can't seem to find anything.

No idea from here - have you mucked about with the default JACK config at all?

It's usually a matter of just kicking it off from qjackctl, and it will default to your onboard audio hardware for inputs/outputs. For external devices you might need to muck about with the settings a little but...

Depending on how bespoke your setup is already, it's probably worth your while just nuking this install, go back to fresh, install jackd and qjackctl and make sure they're working, then run my installer and bob is ( or should be) your uncle

Doing a fresh OS install got Supercollider going! I didn't even have to tweak JACK at all. I'm not sure what the issue was before because it was a new install when I first tried. But now when I try to run a line of code on VSCODE it says:

Getting token failed: Error: The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service files

this is because it's missing a keyring provider I think, try installing gnome-keyring

Thanks, @cleary. I think I just gotta tinker with it a bit more. I got supercollider and vscode to work, but now when I run code, there's no audio. There doesn't appear to be any errors.

1 Like

No worries, I'm flying blind here without (haven't ever got it running on a pi) so I'll let you tinker further - post back when you've got it sorted, it'd be useful for anyone else :slight_smile: