Tidal + Renoise = <3 (redirt)

Hey. I've been working a bit on controling renoise from tidal. So here is my modified BootTidal.hs file. It is not much, but you can already do quite a few things with it.

Feedbacks are welcome!

12 Likes

Omg yes renoise is v cool, thanks for this :slight_smile:

I love Renoise, used to be my main DAW for a long time...
This sounds like a cool project, thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

Omg love this! I love renoise but kinda hopped off for a while cause I like the tidal flow. This seems like a powerful way to do both.

I love this and am excited to try it!

Re: note off messages: I think having a default note on off length with a command to extend the length such as "legato" would be a good implementation. Don't know how that would work though.

yes, that would be ideal, but I don't see how I can make renoise understand that ...

Hey, I'm getting quite a few errors when trying to run code with this:

t> C:\Users\zachw\AppData\Roaming\cabal\x86_64-windows-ghc-8.8.3\tidal-1.4.3\BootTidal.hs:17:15: error: Not in scope: data constructor "Target"
Perhaps you meant variable cxTarget (imported from Sound.Tidal.Context) "|
17 | let renoise = Target {
| ^^^^^^

C:\Users\zachw\AppData\Roaming\cabal\x86_64-windows-ghc-8.8.3\tidal-1.4.3\BootTidal.hs:22:9: error: Not in scope: oSchedule
|
22 | oSchedule=Live,
| ^^^^^^^^^

C:\Users\zachw\AppData\Roaming\cabal\x86_64-windows-ghc-8.8.3\tidal-1.4.3\BootTidal.hs:23:9: error: Not in scope: oWindow
|
23 | oWindow=Nothing
| ^^^^^^^
t> * Variable not in scope: t1 :: Pattern ControlMap -> t
* Perhaps you meant to (imported from Sound.Tidal.Context)

Have you renamed certain items like oSchedule and oWindow to new aliases? I think I'm close to having this run, but a little off.

I see your version is 1.4.3 but on my system it is 1.6.1. Maybe that's the reason?

Hey, I've created a thread on the renoise forum to ask for a feature that would help a lot in interfacing with tidal. Basically, the idea is to add a OSC endpoint that allows to send a note event containing the note's duration.

I didn't get much (any traction) so I doubt it will be implemented, but if you wander around on that forum, feel free to add a bit of momentum. :wink:

2 Likes

hey! I've just started using renoise, it's my first DAW!

anyway I thought these awkwardly named functions might be of use for tidal -> renoise action

let segVal' s p n = segment s $ value p # param n
    segVal p n = segVal' 64 p n
    rdEffect p n d = segVal p n # dev d

I've been using them like this:

t1 $ stack [
  n "a b c d" |+ n 36
  rdEffect (slow 2 $ sine) "Cutoff" "2"
  ]
  # s "01"
2 Likes

That's cool, thanks for sharing!