Week 5, lesson 2 - chords, arpeggios and.. Algoraoke

Thank you so much! It's getting clearer now. I see now that modifying the string on the right modifies the sequence on the left, which I had not understood : i thought i would feed a list of elements on the right and pick from it on the left into an n pattern. But I understand now : not only does right hand side the list have an effect on the n pattern, it can be used as a way of scrolling through lists of instruments. This was not clear for me at all, and it enables many semi-automatic sample swaps, which I'm really happy to discover.

I had never noticed how different these would be !

d1 $ n "0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0" #sound "kick snare hc kick snare hc hc kick"
d1 $ n "1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1" #sound "kick snare hc kick snare hc hc kick"
d1 $ n "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7" #sound "kick snare hc kick snare hc hc kick"
d1 $ n "7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0" #sound "kick snare hc kick snare hc hc kick"

Thank you infinitely! This will be of great help on the road to understanding how the syntax works better. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Working with groups of co-occuring events

Rather late to the party but here's my take on the Rockwell rhythm:

spoiler
setcps 0.7

d1 $ slow 2 $ n "[~ t!! . t(5,16)]" |> note "[c . cs d d]" |+ note "<0 7>" |> sound "bass:1"

To my ear the euclidean rhythm is a better fit than the triplets in the other attempts here. @tedthetrumpet and @hujairi nailed the chords though. I'd love to have that skill.

1 Like

just started the course, so i'm super late to everything...
anyways, here is a little 1 min thing i did with the rockwell tune.
have fun!

p.s.: lovely stuff going on here! cool, that this all exists!

3 Likes

Heh that's excellent!

1 Like

How do I play a '7' chord? C7?

I can find six, nine, eleven etc. in the chordList, but not seven

c'7 doesn't seems to work, nor c'seven

When not otherwise specified, a "seventh chord" usually means a dominant seventh chord: a major triad together with a minor seventh. However, a variety of sevenths may be added to a variety of triads, resulting in many different types of seventh chords.

Ok, got it, probably it is c'dom7.

Edit: also wonder why c'm7 is not working. c'min7 and c'minor7 works, but if it is the same, c'm7 is shorter. :face_with_monocle:

Edit2: when I run dom7 in tidal, I get

[0,4,7,10]

When I run maj7
I get

• Variable not in scope: maj7
    • Perhaps you meant ‘maj9’ (imported from Sound.Tidal.Chords)

Here's the list of chords:
https://github.com/tidalcycles/Tidal/blob/main/src/Sound/Tidal/Chords.hs

I don't know very much about chords but happy to receive pull requests with additions!

2 Likes

edit: nvm I read the rest of your post :wink:

the chord naming is a little inconsistent, I'd be happy to spend some time working on making it better :slight_smile:

Apologies for the very late reply - @yaxu actually answered this, although indirectly:

appending 'N to the end of the chord will play N notes in the chord -

I've only recently added documentation to the wiki for this:

[edit: link update] Play chords | Tidal Cycles

The number of notes in a chord can be modified by appending the ' to a chord, along with an integer. 6 notes can be played in the above chord inversion like this:

d1 $ n "c'major7'ii'6" # s "supermandolin"

1 Like

I found a way to apply the inversion more in the spirit of your approach, treating inversion as a function of the original chord:

(\ p ->
       stack [ uncollect $ fmap tail $ p
             , (uncollect $ fmap (\ l -> [head l]) $ p) + n 12
             ])
  $ collect
  $ n "0'maj"