Your favorite "introspection" ways?

Hi. While I am totally wedded go the idea that as a neophyte will want to understand my Tidal Cycles programs by listening :wavy_dash::ear: to them, i am also wondering what are some of the useful ways to understand Tidal more visually? I've learned about tidal-vis (which i haven't used but it looked cool), drawLine and :t in the documentation, and draw appears in one of the videos. In some of the Tidal course videos we saw something which seemed to generate a PDF from the pattern, at the bottom of the stream video. One more technique is to put a massive speed 0.1 at the beginning of a pattern or pull the cps way down.

These are all helpful! :microscope:

I also tried briefly to compose a drawLine with a string replacement function from | to \n but realized that I'm thinking too old school *nix where everything is a string – in the world of Haskell, drawLine gives type Render rather than whatever the string replacement thing i found on Steak Exchange. The idea was from

[11 cycles]
|a-bbd-|a-bbd-|a-bbd-|a-bbd-|a-bbd-|a-bbd-|a-bbd-|a-bbd-|a-bbd-|a-bbd-|a-bbd-`

to two dimensional

[11 cycles]
a-bbd-
a-bbd-
a-bbd-
a-bbd-
a-bbd-
a-bbd-
a-bbd-
a-bbd-
a-bbd-
a-bbd-
a-bbd-

Lol I'll learn the Haskell way eventually! :sweat_smile:

While I'm on it, i wonder why does drawLine "a b*2 d" produce 11 cycles rather than one?

Anyway, what are some of your favorite "introspection" tools people? :cyclone:

1 Like