Having issues with timing of samples played (lots of 'late' messages from SuperCollider)

Hi all,

I've noticed that I'm getting a lot of 'late' messages in SuperCollider and anything I create in tidal sounds out of time compared to video demonstrations in the Learning Tidal course. I've attempted to increase s.latency in the SuperCollider startup script and oLatency in the Tidal boot file but have had no luck.

For what it's worth, I'm running on Arch Linux with a ALSA -> PulseAudio -> JACK bridge via Cadence. Any help with solving this would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:' you probably got this stuff configured already...

there's also a way to change the latency in tidal

Hi @QualityJuice,

What numbers do you get in the late messages in sc, i.e. how late are they? What are you setting oLatency to? Normally increasing oLatency in the BootTidal.hs by the maximum amount that messages are late by should fix it. In my experience, changing s.latency on the supercollider side doesn't help.

Thanks everyone for your replies - sorry it took so long for me to update, I only got round to looking into fixing this during the weekend.

I found a combination of both @abalone1969's and @lxyxpx's solutions worked! Adding threadirqs kernel parameter (recommended by realtimeconfigquickscan) and setting my oLatency value in BootTidal.hs to a value much greater than the 'late' messages (0.5 in my case) worked.

Thanks both of you for the help :slight_smile:

1 Like