Install problems

Hi @yaxu

I just installed in Ubuntu 19.10 the SuperCollider and TidalCycles by the sh scripts and it showed me the error:

Couldn't set realtime scheduling priority 1: Operation not permitted

Which i solved by adding my user to the audio group like you say in the instructions and it was gone, but when i want to start the SuperDirt it show me the next error and doesn't show me the message "SuperDirt: listening to Tidal on port 57120"

*** Welcome to SuperCollider 3.11.0. *** For help press Ctrl-D.
-> SuperDirt
Booting server 'localhost' on address 127.0.0.1:57110.
Found 0 LADSPA plugins
Faust: supercollider.cpp: sc_api_version = 3
Faust: FaustGreyholeRaw numControls=7
Faust: FaustJPverbRaw numControls=11
jackdmp 1.9.12
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
Copyright 2016-2017 Filipe Coelho.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
Released audio card Audio0
audio_reservation_finish
could not initialize audio.
Server 'localhost' exited with exit code 0.

I don't know how to solve, do you have some idea?, if yes please tell me.

Hey there! Trying things out. On my Ubuntu machine, I installed SC and tidal seamlessly. In parallel, I ran into a problem on my mac, on which SC was installed for some time. On SC, after booting, when starting SuperDirt, the error patterns are about extensions/plugins, “file too short” and “no suitable image found, did find this”. On Tidal, it takes a while to load. Maybe some files are located in the wrong place? I tried uninstalling/reinstalling SC, Haskell, Atom and all but still get the same error messages each time around. After the error messages the system seems to work normally.

Here are the logs and error messages, if anyone ran into the same issue please let me know if you have an idea what needs to be fixed… Thanks in advance!

SC log:

*** Welcome to SuperCollider 3.11.0. *** For help press Cmd-D.
WARNING: Attempted to modify missing Text Mirror for Document {77ddc81a-13b8-4e51-932d-fe315e8c90b4}
WARNING: Attempted to modify missing Text Mirror for Document {77ddc81a-13b8-4e51-932d-fe315e8c90b4}
-> SuperDirt
*** ERROR: dlopen '/Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/__MACOSX/SC3plugins/._StkInst.scx' err 'dlopen(/Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/__MACOSX/SC3plugins/._StkInst.scx, 2): no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/__MACOSX/SC3plugins/._StkInst.scx: file too short
	/Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/__MACOSX/SC3plugins/._StkInst.scx: file too short'
*** ERROR: dlopen '/Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/__MACOSX/SC3plugins/AntiAliasingOscillators/._AntiAliasingOscillators.scx' err 'dlopen(/Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/__MACOSX/SC3plugins/AntiAliasingOscillators/._AntiAliasingOscillators.scx, 2): no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/__MACOSX/SC3plugins/AntiAliasingOscillators/._AntiAliasingOscillators.scx: file too short
	/Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/__MACOSX/SC3plugins/AntiAliasingOscillators/._AntiAliasingOscillators.scx: file too short'

etc… for all possible plugins including UGens. Then goes on like this :

Found 0 LADSPA plugins

(...)

SC_AudioDriver: sample rate = 48000.000000, driver's block size = 512
SuperCollider 3 server ready.
Requested notification messages from server 'localhost'
localhost: server process's maxLogins (1) matches with my options.
localhost: keeping clientID (0) as confirmed by server process.
Shared memory server interface initialized
loading synthdefs in /Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/downloaded-quarks/SuperDirt/classes/../synths/core-modules.scd
---- core synth defs loaded ----
loading synthdefs in /Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/downloaded-quarks/SuperDirt/classes/../synths/core-synths-global.scd
loading synthdefs in /Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/downloaded-quarks/SuperDirt/classes/../synths/core-synths.scd
loading synthdefs in /Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/downloaded-quarks/SuperDirt/classes/../synths/default-synths.scd
exception in GraphDef_Recv: exceeded number of interconnect buffers.
WARNING: SynthDef superfm too big for sending. Retrying via synthdef file
loading synthdefs in /Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/downloaded-quarks/SuperDirt/classes/../synths/try-load-extra-synths.scd
loading synthdefs in /Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/downloaded-quarks/SuperDirt/classes/../synths/tutorial-synths.scd

loading 217 sample banks:
(...)
... file reading complete. Required 444 MB of memory.

SuperDirt: listening to Tidal on port 57120

Now here are the logs from Atom :

Choose ghcup default path: /Users/gnozognozo/.ghcup/bin

Ghci command: /Users/gnozognozo/.ghcup/bin/ghci Ghc-pkg command: /Users/gnozognozo/.ghcup/bin/ghc-pkg

Load BootTidal.hs from /Users/gnozognozo/.atom/packages/tidalcycles/lib/BootTidal.hs

Loaded package environment from /Users/gnozognozo/.ghc/x86_64-darwin-8.8.3/environments/default

t>

t>Listening for controls on 127.0.0.1:6010

t>

• Couldn't match expected type ‘IO () -> Pattern ControlMap’ with actual type ‘Pattern ControlMap’ • The function ‘sound’ is applied to two arguments, but its type ‘Pattern String -> Pattern ControlMap’ has only one In the second argument of ‘($)’, namely ‘sound "bd" hush’ In the expression: d1 $ sound "bd" hush

t>

* Git

* GitHub

!['s avatar](atom://github/img/avatar.svg " ")

# Too many changes

The repository at  **/Users/gnozognozo**  has too many changed files to display in Atom. Ensure that you have set up an appropriate  `.gitignore` file.

Thanks!

Hi @born_89, this is probably a problem with configuration of the ‘jack’ audio layer.
Try installing and running qjackctl, and configuring and then starting jack with that. The first thing to check is that jack is using the right device. You might also want to check the samplerate.

2 Likes

Hi @gnozo.

To get rid of those warnings, remove /Users/gnozognozo/Library/Application Support/SuperCollider/Extensions/__MACOSX/. This is a spurious folder that was included in sc3plugins in error (MACOSX folder in release zip ¡ Issue #279 ¡ supercollider/sc3-plugins ¡ GitHub).

exception in GraphDef_Recv: exceeded number of interconnect buffers. is probably important, see Linux install script fails - #9 by yaxu for a solution to that (despite the title, the advice applies to macs as well as linux).

Hi @yaxu ! Thank you so much, this solved the problem.
I just have one remaining warning message concerning some of the synthdefs :

WARNING: SynthDef superfm too big for sending. Retrying via synthdef file

Is this problematic or risky in any way?

Thanks again for the tips, starting to experiment with things, quite excited n__n

1 Like

No that one is fine!

2 Likes

You were right i must to start jack with the correct interface it come with the default which is none (in my case), so in the setup window i changed it for the generic and work it, i have the samplerate in 44100 is it ok?

I share some images:

JackConnections
Just another little thing, i got this message when I boot the TidalCycles plug-in in Atom anyway it work and gave me sound, is any problem on that?.

No configured ghc path

Ghci command: ghci Ghc-pkg command: ghc-pkg

Load BootTidal.hs from /home/alejo/.cabal/share/x86_64-linux-ghc-8.6.5/tidal-1.4.8/BootTidal.hs

t>

t>

t>Listening for controls on 127.0.0.1:6010

Thank you for your help now i feel ready for start.

That’s fine. It’s a bit noisy when you start up in atom, but that’s because we had a lot of problems getting the configuration right, so it basically prints out a lot of debugging info to help with that…

1 Like

And 44100 samplerate is fine too… That’s CD quality, and is what the samples are generally recorded at.

1 Like

hi… i had to reinstall on mac after some seemingly crucial files went missing after a library recompile while loading sample packs. On both my machines i got the following warning :

WARNING: Dirt could not load some synths from default-synths.scd, because sc3plugins are necessary and missing.

On osx(sierra) I managed getting rid of it by downloading the source code of the file in question from github and recompiling. This workaround didn’t work on ubuntu . Is it … crucial? it doesn’t prevent the interaction (btw atom lagginess is not an issue in my linux setup)

Ok, gotta run to mini notation class now!

Hi @yaxu,

when installing TidalCycles, I ran into the same problem as @born_89. I am on Ubuntu 20.04 and have installed Tidal via the .sh scripts.

When trying to start SuperDirt, I get the same error message as in the original post:

*** Welcome to SuperCollider 3.11.2. *** For help press         Ctrl-D.
SCDoc: Indexing help-files...
SCDoc: Indexed 1930 documents in 1.73 seconds
-> SuperDirt
Faust: FaustJPverbRaw numControls=11
Faust: FaustGreyholeRaw numControls=7
jackdmp 1.9.12
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
Copyright 2016-2017 Filipe Coelho.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
Released audio card Audio0
audio_reservation_finish
could not initialize audio.
Server 'localhost' exited with exit code 0.

The problem is that @born_89's solution doesn't work for me. Do you have an idea what the problem might be? I would be grateful for any help whatsoever.

What did you try?

Thank you for your reply. Among other things, I've tried changing the interface from default to hw:Generic in qjackctl and it didn't help.

Hmm well it's some problem with jack and your audio device, but it's difficult to know what it might be. Perhaps if you do a web search for the name of your audio device and jack audio you'll find someone else with the same problem.

Gratitude :slightly_smiling_face:
just got this rocking again on Manjaro
After getting this error after an upgrade to Supercollider 3.12.0
starting Jack first (even with Cadence) got it working
Thanks!

Hi @yaxu
I don’t know what’s going on here. Can you help me out?

It looks like it had problems installing the tidalcycles plugin for atom. You could try installing this plugin manually, from within atom.

@yaxu Okay, is there any tutorial for that?

Yes on the website Atom | Tidal Cycles

@yaxu just downloaded. Thank you!