The "pulsar/atom plugin" thread

That was my thought, but also in atom plugin could be implemented... maybe an "osc controlled mute/unmute", like the "osc eval" implemented by @mrreason.
The midi to osc conversion could be leaved to sc.

I opened an issue on the tidal repository, but maybe it could be implemented also on atom plugin at this point :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Aha I get it now, sorry I didn't join the dots before :slightly_smiling_face:

@cleary the idea of using MIDI here is great! I see my configuration growing :smiley:

As @ndr_brt said I think it would make more sense to use OSC for it and just to transform MIDI to OSC. Maybe we should think about a scalable format for handling OSC messages in the atom plugin?

Just updated SC, Atom plugin and Tidal to latest everything… I'm getting Variable not in scope: unmuteAll when I try to do ctrl+0 to unmute all. This is on the Mac. Any ideas?

Checkout the loaded BootTidal.hs file loaded... contains the unmuteAll definition like the one contained in the tidal codebase? (https://github.com/tidalcycles/Tidal/blob/main/BootTidal.hs)

1 Like

Ah, right, I see, or at least I think I see. I had a custom BootTidal.hs based on the default fallback file in the plugin, but it looks like that one is a bit out of date. Now based my custom file on the one you linked to, all good!

New release in town!
The most interesting change is the introduction of tidal-listener, is an "advanced feature" far from usable but is a good start.
As always, any feedback is welcome

7 Likes

Is there a way to have the code have a different background to the rest of the editor? e.g. as in the below screenshot?

Currently I've been editing atom's stylesheet (Edit > Stylesheet) and adding this code

atom-text-editor span {
  background-color: #FFFFDD;
}

However, this means I can't see when code is highlighted (the highlight colour goes behind the text background colour). Is background colour for the code something that can be added to the atom plugin or is more of a case of perfecting the atom stylesheet?

I'm always a little torn on what to do with stylesheet custom.
Maybe the cleanest option is to leave this customizations into the atom stylesheet.

To keep it usable with selection maybe you could use a more soft color, like

atom-text-editor span {
  background-color: @background-color-highlight
}
1 Like

New interesting feature for the newcomers: since v3.16.10 SuperDirt will be launched inside atom automatically. More info on the readme: GitHub - tidalcycles/atom-tidalcycles: Atom package for TidalCycles

edit: new release that set superdirt autostart false by default:

1 Like

I just tried the superdirt autostart both with and without superdirt_startup.scd file in the folder where my .tidal file is but I get this error: "'sclang' could not be spawned. Is it installed and on your path? If so please open an issue on the package spawning the process." Should the startup file be somewhere else? What could be wrong?

Is supercollider installed correctly? Why if you open a terminal and execute sclang?

Yes, when I run supercollider with my startup file and then atom everything works fine. When I execute "sclang" on terminal I get: "-bash: sclang: command not found" (I'm on Mac if that helps).

Uhm... I thought that supercollider would put the executables link into the $PATH also on mac os x, on linux that works out of the box.

Maybe a new beginning, introduced the first version of code highlight using tidal-listener as interpreter.

Peek 2021-07-13 17-32

Feedbacks welcome!

6 Likes

great news, thx ndr_brt! :smiley:

how can i install & use tidal-listener? and how i enable code highlight on atom? i didnt find an example or help file...

On linux you have to clonetidal-listener and execute cabal install
There should be a way to install it on windows/Mac but I don't know how.
To enable it select tidal-listener as interpreter into the atom-tidalcycles plugin configuration.
Everything is still work in progress, so don't expect to perform live with this feature :smiley:

Another progress on the use of tidal-listener, now pattern highlight works really well, only for a single pattern executed on the first line (we have to wait some improvements on tidal-listener itself to make it work for multiple patterns)

Peek 2021-07-14 09-35

5 Likes

New version released, now with tidal-listener it's possibile to use multiple patterns, I used this feature in a live performance thursday and it worked pretty well!
Peek 2021-07-25 12-01

4 Likes

Great job first! I tried to experiment with it but I got this error in Atom:

t> Didn't typecheck GhcError {errMsg = ":1:1: error:\n    \8226 Variable not in scope: d1 :: ControlPattern -> t\n    \8226 Perhaps you meant \8216dt\8217 (imported from Sound.Tidal.Context)"}
error: GhcError {errMsg = ":1:1: error:\n    \8226 Variable not in scope: d1 :: ControlPattern -> t\n    \8226 Perhaps you meant \8216dt\8217 (imported from Sound.Tidal.Context)"}

I installed the tidal-listener with cabal install tidal-listener.cabal and the installation process looked fine. I switched from Default interpreter to tidal-listener in Atom and got the mentioned error. Do you have any idea what the problem could be?
Many thanks in advance!