Windows 10 installation problems - Could not find module `Sound.Tidal.Context'

Hi, I am a musician and not a programmer, and I find the way music and time are conceptualized in Tidalcycles very interesting. In 2020 after a lot of difficulty, I managed to install Tidalcycles and greatly enjoyed using it. Various life stuff happened and now I'm returning to Tidalcycles and want to upgrade it. The docs suggest upgrading everything, so:

1. I first unistalled Tidalcycles using choco uninstall tidalcycles.

2. Then I reinstalled Tidalcycles using choco install tidalcycles

3. I confirmed that SuperCollider and Superdirt were listening to Tidal on port 57120

4. Started Atom and attempted to run basic tutorial code, only to get the following error:

Choose ghc base path
 > no custom path configured
 > ghcup not found
 * using default GHC system path definition
Ghci command: ghci
Ghc-pkg command: ghc-pkg
Choose BootTidal.hs path
 > no custom path configured
 > not found in current directory
 > cannot get tidal installation folder Error: Command failed: "ghc-pkg" field tidal data-dir
ghc-pkg.exe: cannot find package tidal
 * use the default contained in the plugin
 * load BootTidal.hs from C:\Users\aurelian\.atom\packages\tidalcycles\lib\BootTidal.hs
t> 
t>  
t> 
: error:
    Could not find module `Sound.Tidal.Context'
    It is not a module in the current program, or in any known package.

t>  Variable not in scope: d1 :: t0 -> t

Variable not in scope: s :: t1 -> t0

I don't know what any of that means, and googling leads me to a lot of discussions ranging over several years, most of which are totally above my head. I just want to make music with this amazing software, but I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After following the instructions from @joanq here: Newbie here: need help with error booting Tidal - #7 by joanq and using --force to force reinstalls of ghc and msys2, it worked! Thanks for your help! I hope that someday the install process for Tidalcycles is more accessible!

1 Like