Ok so in some parts of the world, it's already 11th April, so the course has officially started! We'd better get on with the next lesson - how to add extra sounds. It's important to do that now, as I've made a pack of extra sound samples for us to use during the course.
Here's the tidal club sample pack for you to download: https://slab.org/tmp/samples-extra.zip
First, save and extract the samples somewhere:
- Make a folder somewhere for the course. Maybe call it "tidalclub" on your desktop, or documents folder, or wherever you like to keep your things.
- Download the above samples-extra.zip file, and extract the contents into that folder. (How you do this depends on the operating system you're using)
Once you've got the samples saved, here's a video that steps through the process of loading them in supercollider:
Or here's the steps in brief:
- Open SuperCollider, and open the example startup file via: menu -> file -> open user support directory -> downloaded-quarks -> SuperDirt -> superdirt_startup.scd
- Copy the contents to your clipboard
- Open your supercollider startup file via: menu -> file -> edit startup file
- Paste the contents into there. (Don't have
SuperDirt.startupin there as well)
- You'll see a line with
~dirt.loadSoundFiles;, which loads the default samples.
- Keep that line, creating a new line underneath that looks like this:
- You'll need to change the above so that it contains the path to the samples-extra folder on your system.
- Don't forget to have
/*at the end of the path, and a semicolon
;at the end of the line.
- Save the file (File -> Save)
With all that done, you should be able to restart supercollider (you can do that via: menu -> Language -> Recompile class library, or just by closing and reopening supercollider), and have superdirt automatically start up inside SuperDirt, with all the new samples.
I hope that's clear, but please do let me know if you get stuck!
Here's the contents of samples-extra:
- break - breakbeats
- bsguitar - bloodsport sample pack - https://pickleddiscs.bandcamp.com/album/blood-sport-sample-pack
- bskick - see above
- bsperc - ditto
- bssnare - more from bloodsport
- bsbass - you get the idea
- clap - a range of clap samples
- cpu - cpu records electro sample pack 1 - https://shop.cpurecords.net/album/electro-samples-vol-1
- cpu2 - volume 2 - https://cpurecords.net/electro-samples-vol-2/
- dbass - some bass sounds made by damu - https://soundcloud.com/damu
- foley - a large number of 'foley' samples
- kick - kick sounds
- rash - some octaves from my jv1080 synth
- claus - claustrofophobia impulse responses from here https://fokkie.home.xs4all.nl/IR.htm
- dsynth - more samples from damu
- hi - 'hi' handdrum samples
- lo - 'lo' handdrum samples
- snare - snare drums